PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimshader

Lurker
Mar 5, 2016
After being raised on the room notes of royal and original Captain Black tobacco's and even smoking them myself now, I saw Captain Black Cherry blend and thought "why not try it?"...Well, let me give you a few reasons. After packing my semi-bent briar and getting it lit, I was overcome with the sensation of sucking on the exhaust of a semi truck...its taste was acrid and harsh with notes of sulfur and burning flesh (namely from my tongue). After a few days, not wanting to make a hasty judgement I decided to give it another shot, this time in my favorite meerschaum, (which can practically turn boiling tar into a pleasant smoke), and once again was greeted with a raucous assault on my senses, combined with the searing sensation of the removing of what was left of my taste buds from my mouth! In short, if you are into self mutilation, or have the hankering for a big ol' mouth full of diesel exhaust, by all means, you now know where to find it in ample supply! For me, I shall steer well clear of what can best be described as "Hell in a bag". (If this does happen to be your favorite, I truly mean no insult what-so-ever...just not my thing!)

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Captain Black Cherry is not for everyone. It sure gets a bad rap on Tobacco Reviews. I personally like it. It's not an everyday blend for me, maybe once or twice every 2 weeks. I only enjoy it in a corn cob pipe. I pack it loose and smoke it slow. I mix in some 5 Brothers to give it some strength and calm down the PG effect.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I had a bit in my clay and I really enjoyed it - a re-enactor I met at Bolsover Castle gave me a pouch with some in it. I notice that USA pipe tobacco packaging isn't so plastered with health warnings like in the UK!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I'll stick with BRM. Some of the CB stuff isn't too bad & has its advantages. Matt, for example loves the fact that he can leave it open in a hot car for months on end & not having to worry about its drying out, & we do use CB Grape when we want to overpower the senses of the crews of ships we're assaulting. [faux innocent look skyward] When it comes to cherry, though, I'd put it right down there with Porkum Ruff cherry. :P
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Something about the sweetness and cherry tang really draws attention with cherry aromatic blends, and for some people, it makes the gorge rise. I've had a cherry blend that was sufficiently tobacco-forward to not have that effect, but it wasn't yummy either. My disclaimer is that I am primarily a non-aromatic smoker, so though I enjoy aromatics as a change of pace, I'm fussy and picky about which ones, and they're not cherry flavored.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
As for the pg, I have kept a pouch of kb white in my desk drawer at work and it still smells oh so pipeness good when I open that drawer.

Status
Not open for further replies.