PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Never tried the gold, my first tin of blue was a disappointment, then tried it again 2-3 years later and liked it, but as far as straight VAs go I like others a lot more. F&T Cut Blended Plug, SG FV Plug, Huber’s Golden Flake are some examples - though all three much harder to find than Capstan.
that's about how I feel about the blue. I liked it but don't feel any need to get more, pretty much every other decent straight VA I've tried I like more. I certainly didn't get anything bold from it. Maybe I got a bum tin or something. And it didn't matter if I dried it out or broke it up. Just found it to be a very meh not great not bad just decent blend. Glad to see I am not the only one.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
that's about how I feel about the blue. I liked it but don't feel any need to get more, pretty much every other decent straight VA I've tried I like more. I certainly didn't get anything bold from it. Maybe I got a bum tin or something. And it didn't matter if I dried it out or broke it up. Just found it to be a very meh not great not bad just decent blend. Glad to see I am not the only one.
Nah you’re not! I doubt you had a bum tin, it’s just not very flavourful :)

I tried a lot with my own first tin, broken, folded, several dryness levels, even stoved it. Nothing bad about it, just fairly weak.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019

I tried a lot with my own first tin, broken, folded, several dryness levels, even stoved it. Nothing bad about it, just fairly weak.
That's what I thought of it too. I can see some of the appeal as in I couldn't find rough edges, but I think I like rough edges.

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I smoked Capstan Blue flake, 50 gm tins, from the early 1980s to about 2000 when it became unavailable in the US. I could not find an acceptable all day smoke so I liked as much, so quit smoking for about 20 years.

My wife found some Capstan Blue Flake and ordered me a tin. It was close to what I remembered but perhaps a bit more bite and lighter in color and flavor than I recalled. I also am developing a liking for C&D Bayou Morning Flake. I found Bayou Morning bulk at a local tobacco store today and must say I was impressed with it not being a flake.
I also tried some PS medallions I found on line and liked it. The PS VA flake was ok, but hotter and sharper. I will put it in the cellar.
These are the blends I have liked most so far and except for the PS VA flake, I could probably smoke any of them on a daily basis.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019

I wanted to add I don't think it's bad. But I think for what I do like about it there are so many blends that I like so much more that it creates a why bother situation. Kind of like how there are some prolific bands that every album is good. But they have so many great albums why would you listen to the better then o.k. ones?
If it was the only pipe tobacco I could get, I'd still smoke. But the desert island would be a little sad.

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Anybody here try stoving the blue for a deeper or better smoke? I’ve watched a YouTube video on it but haven’t experimented

Reactions: JOHN72

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
There was a thread about stoving Capstan blue. I tried it myself, made it molasses sweet but not more flavourful.
Now I'm toying with the idea of stoving a pound of HH Pure Virginia. To me it's very flavorful, but not quite as sweet as I'd prefer.

I'm just nervous to ruin a pound. Wish I knew if somebody had tried stoving it before.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Now I'm toying with the idea of stoving a pound of HH Pure Virginia. To me it's very flavorful, but not quite as sweet as I'd prefer.

I'm just nervous to ruin a pound. Wish I knew if somebody had tried stoving it before.
Don't stove a pound then? You could always stove 50 grams or something?

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I wanted to add I don't think it's bad. But I think for what I do like about it there are so many blends that I like so much more that it creates a why bother situation. Kind of like how there are some prolific bands that every album is good. But they have so many great albums why would you listen to the better then o.k. ones?
If it was the only pipe tobacco I could get, I'd still smoke. But the desert island would be a little sad.
Great analogy with the bands and albums!
Continuing with that analogy I would say that Capstan Blue would be one of my favorite bands/ albums that I would listen to frequently. Just like with music, I do like a variety, but occasionally one runs across a group or an artist who's music really strikes a note with me and I may listen to them exclusively for a couple of days without much variation. I'm that way with Capstan Blue, I may smoke other tobaccos, especially when I'm trying something new, but rarely a day goes by that I don't smoke at least one bowl of Capstan Blue.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK

You’ll never know until you try it for yourself. I’ve stoved capstan blue & found it an improvement. Fresh Escudo showed the biggest improvement though. Gas mark 2 for 2-2&1/2 hours.

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I'm too cheap to buy those capstan blends. Bought a tin of blue flake a long while back and i remember enjoying it, so I'll have to revisit soon. Smoking a leftover 3 day old bowl of Full Virginia flake, and I just can't get over how tasty it is. Virginias are the best!
If you’re in the states, It’s literally half price from Esterval’s even after shipping costs. Same with Salty Dogs.

Reactions: SBC

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Don't stove a pound then? You could always stove 50 grams or something?
You’ll never know until you try it for yourself. I’ve stoved capstan blue & found it an improvement. Fresh Escudo showed the biggest improvement though. Gas mark 2 for 2-2&1/2 hours.
Yup -- you're right. I think I'll give it a shot in the foreseeable future. I'll report back when I do.

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I'm not sure the last time you purchased Capstan from Estervals, but currently it is cheaper at SPC. The price substantially increased from this time last year.
You’re right. It’s been a minute. It’s currently €11 from Esterval’s and $15.30 from Smoking Pipes dot com. Still cheaper at Esterval’s even after shipping from either place but not by half.

Reactions: JOHN72