PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This is the most delicious pipe tobacco I’ve ever smoked since 1972.

The tin reads it contains bright Virginia tobaccos from three continents blended into flakes.

There are 12 flakes of tobacco in a 1.75 ounce can that cost $18 from Smoking Pipes.

The taste is pure Virginia, as good as Player’s Medium Navy Cut cigarettes were, years ago.

A novice might smoke this, but it would ruin him for lesser quality tobaccos.

You need to try this.

The only reason everyone doesn’t smoke it is cost.

B8B81BFF-F2B6-4E24-848F-0A7B70482E56.jpeg92665114-0E4B-49EF-807E-3D62D331B89B.jpeg2A132C20-A789-49FD-A2E1-5B03085303F9.jpeg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have some in the house, but I also have Capstan Blue and I'm working on that blend first.
Just before I went into the hospital November and didn't get released till Sunday, Dec. 11. I bought 4 tins of each from a forum member who said he'd had it for a few years and I had listened to or read comments on these offerings and jumped on the deal which provided me with them for less than $20 each.
My palette is a little out of whack, and my tobacco tastes different a bit since before my hospitalization, but these are premium flakes and I'll get there to where I can taste some of the nuances and flavors.
I almost died from having let myself starve and develop not only a perforated colon, but sepsis. I'm home again with a walker and limited mobility, but my pipes and tobacco are part of my recovery to full operational status. Keep on puffin!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have some in the house, but I also have Capstan Blue and I'm working on that blend first.
Just before I went into the hospital November and didn't get released till Sunday, Dec. 11. I bought 4 tins of each from a forum member who said he'd had it for a few years and I had listened to or read comments on these offerings and jumped on the deal which provided me with them for less than $20 each.
My palette is a little out of whack, and my tobacco tastes different a bit since before my hospitalization, but these are premium flakes and I'll get there to where I can taste some of the nuances and flavors.
I almost died from having let myself starve and develop not only a perforated colon, but sepsis. I'm home again with a walker and limited mobility, but my pipes and tobacco are part of my recovery to full operational status. Keep on puffin!
Yikes - keep moving and improving!

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Here is to a speedy recovery! :sher:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have lots of Orlick’s Golden Slices, PS Luxury Twist Flake, and Newminister 400, and all are excellent pure Virginia flakes. I love PS Luxury Navy Flake so much I have about eight pounds of it, and it has a touch of Perique.

When I was a 14 year old boy in 1972 the Humansville FFA took a field trip to the American Royal in Kansas City, and we stayed in the Muelbach Hotel.

Downtown Kansas City was nothing but a Sodom and Gomorrah grade red light district then, with pimps riding in Cadillacs and Lincolns and hookers plying their trade, and a series of bars with neon signs and old middle aged men inside with barflies, their cackles audible as I walked the streets.

As a good Christian boy, I knew better to go inside those barrooms, but there was a slot in the wall tobacco shop the owner would sell anything there to anyone old enough to peep over the counter.

I bought a few cans of Dunhill pipe tobaccos and a package of Dunhill cigarettes and a couple of packages of Player’s Medium Navy Cut.

Walking down that sidewalk, in my FFA jacket, I discovered the pure Virginia flavor of Player’s.

Capstan Gold is nothing, but Virginia tobacco flavor. No toppings, no casings, no grass or citrus notes, but only rich, pure Virginia taste.

Player’s were 65 cents a package when Marlboros cost 40 cents.

MacBaren has duplicated the formula, and you don’t have to go slumming to buy them, in the glow of city lights.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I detect a bit of fruity citrus and perhaps light honey topping on the gold. Lightly complimentary, not overwhelming at all.
The secret has to be in the sauce used to press out the flakes.

Every tobacco maker on this earth can buy all the commercial high grade Virginia they want, for maybe two or three dollars a pound.

My favorite Smoker’s Pride Cherry Cavendish is a dollar an ounce, and PS Luxury Navy Flake is $2.50 an ounce, and Capstan is just over $10 an ounce.

And worth every penny.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This is the most delicious pipe tobacco I’ve ever smoked since 1972.

The tin reads it contains bright Virginia tobaccos from three continents blended into flakes.

There are 12 flakes of tobacco in a 1.75 ounce can that cost $18 from Smoking Pipes.

The taste is pure Virginia, as good as Player’s Medium Navy Cut cigarettes were, years ago.

A novice might smoke this, but it would ruin him for lesser quality tobaccos.

You need to try this.

The only reason everyone doesn’t smoke it is cost.

View attachment 187565View attachment 187566View attachment 187567
wait Players navy cut? One of the few cigs I miss. Well sign me up, but if I am disappointed I'll try to hire you to sue you for giving false advice. :)

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hope you're on the mend and well enough to enjoy Christmas tomorrow.
My Very Best Wishes for a much better and healthier 2023

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Welcome back, Sir!

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Reactions: Briar Lee

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
wait Players navy cut? One of the few cigs I miss. Well sign me up, but if I am disappointed I'll try to hire you to sue you for giving false advice. :)
In the 1980s Players Navy Cut cigarettes were made by Phillip Morris in the US. As I remember it, the brand was discontinued when the US government started setting maximum nicotine levels for the total of a company's products. Players Navy Cut was a non filter and also had the highest nicotine content of any cigarette made in the USA. It was regulated out of existence!

I believe there was also a Player's Navy Cut made in the UK. I know there was a line of Players cigarettes produced in Europe, I believe in the uk. I know some were made with filters, but as I recall they also had a non filter that was very good. I don't remember if it was called Navy Cut or not.

Reactions: Briar Lee

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
In the 1980s Players Navy Cut cigarettes were made by Phillip Morris in the US. As I remember it, the brand was discontinued when the US government started setting maximum nicotine levels for the total of a company's products. Players Navy Cut was a non filter and also had the highest nicotine content of any cigarette made in the USA. It was regulated out of existence!

I believe there was also a Player's Navy Cut made in the UK. I know there was a line of Players cigarettes produced in Europe, I believe in the uk. I know some were made with filters, but as I recall they also had a non filter that was very good. I don't remember if it was called Navy Cut or not.
Both my parents used to smoke Players Navy Cut cigarettes - the UK product. Late 50s - 1960s
Available in packs of 20 and tins of 50. Definitely non-filters
I used to buy individual sticks from the “corner store” (more a stall or shack) for my Grandpa who was an occasional smoker

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

The first pipe shop I ever visited had Player’s Medium Navy Cut and Sherman’s Cigarettellos for sale.

Sherman’s were made of all Virginia, but wrapped in brown paper so people thought you were smoking a little cigar.

Player’s was an almost king size length white cigarette the package boasted

Manufactured with cool, rich Virginia tobacco

They tasted like Capstan Gold ribbon cut and rolled into a cigarette.

By the way, original Pall Mall straights were also a Virginia blend. When all other brands cost $3.20 a carton in 1973 straight Pall Malls were fifty cents more, and worth it.

Reactions: vosBghos and orvet

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Player’s was an almost king size length white cigarette the package boasted

Manufactured with cool, rich Virginia tobacco

They tasted like Capstan Gold ribbon cut and rolled into a cigarette.
Perhaps that’s why I took such a long while to try a straight Virginia blend.

Subconsciously I was trying to avoid something that was too close in taste to cigarettes (to which I have an aversion)