PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I've had tins where the floral element was pretty upfront, and now when I open an aged tin and find that sort of full, leathery virginia, I'm actually a little disappointed.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Smoking VA Flake is said by some to be the pinnacle of pipe smoking which i never enjoyed due to the bite from smoking too fast. However I did enjoy 10 days of such slow bliss. So that's a .0017% success rate, which you might say is a tad slow ;):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9 and Casual

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I taste a vague honey or invert sugar topping and a lot of toasty brown bread from the VA. Maybe a little hay. The empire VAs seem to have a slight floral component to me, but I'd never think Lavender. More like a muskier, earthier version of the herbal woody musty dried floral notes I get from some orientals.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Never tasted floral with capstan. Capstan blue was my dunhill flake replacement during it's hiatus, but now that it's back, I can't justify the price point.

Reactions: logs

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know Capstan, so I can only speculate, but there is something off kilter, since the OP describes an overbearing Lavender flavoring, whereas others are describing a subtle nuance form a Virginia leaf varietal, and those two reports don't jibe. It could be an unusual batch, and it sounds like a contamination with flavoring. If it were me, I'd cut it with some good plain Virginia, and see if that tunes it back to a reasonable level, and perhaps try it as a condiment to other blends. It might be that once you "learn" the blend, it will taste okay. But there is a definite discrepancy between what is described and what others have experienced. I'd say.

Reactions: BROBS

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
The tin I’m on has a few years on it. It’s good stuff, I have noticed a light floral note. But not more prevalent than a lot of other VAs, and less than a lot of others.

Reactions: BROBS

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Update: I'm realizing after several bowls, capstan blue & orlik golden sliced taste extremely similar. I swear they are using the same leaf varietals
Could be, but a different process? I *think* I taste Perique in the Orlik and it is quite a favorite of mine, whereas I wasn't enamored with the little bit of Capstan Blue I tried.

Jun 9, 2018
England
So I had my very first tango with Capstan Blue flake yesterday. I was very excited to finally get to try this highly recommended Va, and upon my first light, I was pretty happy. Then a few minutes into the bowl I noticed a taste that didn't quite vibe with me, and I couldn't seem to get rid of it the rest of the bowl. The taste was extremely floral to the point of disgust. Lavender. Alot of it. This ruined the whole experience for me, and on top of that Lavender note, very cigarette-like. In Canada we have a brand of cigarettes by the name of Player's Navy cut. I don't know if they are affiliated with Capstan, but the tobacco tastes the same to me. I don't smoke cigarettes anymore, and Capstan Blue just reminded me of those Player's darts that I use to smoke. I am pretty easy to satisfy when it comes to pipe tobacco. I love straight Va, but this one just didn't sit well with my taste buds. I'll work with it still and see what happens, but I'm pretty sure the lavender juice is gonna prevent me from enjoying it. Thanks for listening to my rant!

Steve

"Capstan Blue... Meh"???

gretas-appeal.gif

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Update: I'm realizing after several bowls, capstan blue & orlik golden sliced taste extremely similar. I swear they are using the same leaf varietals
It's been a while since I smoked any OGS, but as I recall, it's bright virginias with a noticeable bergamot topping.
I think Capstan Blue is very far from that.
Flavorwise they both have some grass and hay, but in OGS that's the main flavors while Capstan is much darker.

Status
Not open for further replies.