PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
I purchased a new life insurance policy for my family yesterday and was classified as a non-smoker. There wasn't an option to be listed as a pipe smoker, they only asked about cigarettes and cigars. I told the insurance man that I smoke a pipe so he listed me as a non-smoker, since I don't inhale. So to be sure I pass the blood work Friday, I can't smoke until after they are finished. They check for nicotine in the blood test. I found out that you can smoke one (1) cigar a month and still be considered a non-smoker.
TICK........ :crying:
TOCK........ :crying:
TICK........ :crying:
TOCK........ :crying:

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
I don't know, I don't smoke strong blends so I'm hopeful that I won't have any trace of nicotine in my system. The cost for a smoker is a lot higher than that of a non-smoker.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I went through this a year ago.

They say nicotine will show up within 2-3 weeks after smoking.

I waited a month to be safe.

My buddy smoked one clove cigarette a week before his test and it nailed him, but he inhales.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Well, Good Luck on this one, Roger....I think it will help if you drink tons of water until you have to take the test....it will help flush any nicotine out of your system.... :?

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
just tell them that its secand hand smoke, i wonder if that counts you as a smoker.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
I don't know; could be an easy out for them later by stating you we're untruthful on your application.

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Nicotine leaves the body after 72 hours, carbon monoxide leaves the lungs after 48 hours. Although as I don't inhale I usually blow a 0.3 or less on carbon monoxide tests, nicotine is usually considerably higher lol
I feel for you having to wait, but just imagine how good that first pipe will taste!
*edit* If your worried drink plenty of fluids, as for cannabis while it wont show up on a urine sample after a short period it can be detected in a hair folical sample 3-6 months after the last intake. People metabolise drugs differently (Nicotine or THC) so then above is just the average figures given by the UK department of Health

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
Actually another test may be carbon monoxide that binds to hemoglobin and prevents the blood from carrying oxygen. I'm not sure if they test directly for CO or just test for O2. I know it is a very important issue if you are going in for surgery as it affects healing times.

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Called LEGALIZED EXTORTION!! Damned insurance companies..SUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.