PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I don't find 1-Q repugnant, just too mild and the flavoring a little insipid. I'd still say it is a good one for a rank beginner, since it isn't going to put most people off a pipe. The problem is, when you have smoked anything even a little more interesting, 1-Q is pretty boring. I have a little in a small jar but never get around to it; maybe I'll use it as a carrier for Five Brothers.
As normal, concur with Tom here. It's OK, but nothing jump-right-out-at-you! special. I don't smoke it that often, but if I'm out of town on the road without leaf (VERY unlikely) & at a place that calls itself a smoke shop & has nothing but 1-Q, I might buy a couple of ounces to get me through.

Reactions: Elric
Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Smoking 1Q is like visiting my childhood home, small, boring, but familiar and comfortable.
Ive got 3 oz of 1Q thats at least 15 years old. I had to rehydrate it and re-vanilla it to make it palatable. Once its gone, I'll likely never buy it again.

Reactions: sgh and Elric

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Tastes like nothing, smells like ash, the aftertaste is like cigarettes. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just not good stuff? In the bag, it really does smell like stereotypical pipe tobacco, which is a good smell to me. I want to like it... I know I have problems with my packing, but I can manage to get decent flavor (and a better aftertaste) out of other tobaccos.

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob
No, you aren't doing anything wrong. You just must like good tobacco.

Reactions: sgh and Elric

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don't like 1Q either. Sure smells great though! For a predominantly vanilla-tasting aromatic, I'd recommend Sutliff Crème Brulee. It's fantastic. It's pretty goopy, so pack it very lightly, but it burns just fine. Crème Brulee, along with Sutliff's fancier and improved version called Molto Dolce, are my favorite aromatics at the moment. I just recently became acquainted with both of these blends in the past couple months, and I've already smoked a tin of Molto Dolce and a quarter pound of Creme Brulee. Most aros just seem like sucking on hot air, but not so for these two blends. They are everything I hoped 1Q would be when I first picked up a pipe years ago.
If Molto Dolce is an improvement on anything OMG YECH

• Haha
Reactions: Elric

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Says the Peterson pipe fanatic puffy
For me I can taste the humectant in it. The stuff snaps, crackles and pops. I prefer most of that in my cereal.

I’ve had the same experience with tasting humectant in Lane 1Q as well.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
1-Q was my first tobacco. Many of us loaded our first bowl with that stuff. I have the itch to buy another ounce of the stuff and revisit it, but I've been, upon the whole, quite underwhelmed with Lane's offerings: their chemical aftertastes have been a big put off for me.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
For me I can taste the humectant in it. The stuff snaps, crackles and pops. I prefer most of that in my cereal.

I’ve had the same experience with tasting humectant in Lane 1Q as well.

It definitely does snap crackle and pop, which was weird the first time I smoked it. I've not had any issues with an artificial / humectant taste. The only time I've ever experienced that is when puffing too hot, but I suppose some people are probably more sensitive to propylene glycol than others.

Reactions: Magpiety

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
And perhaps it’s not even humectant but some other casing or ingredient and I am just assuming it’s the humectant.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Try Mac Baden Vanilla Cream (flake or loose). It’s got a great top note that translates to the room note and flavor, but the underlying tobacco is a solid Va Bur mix that would be a great smoke without the vanilla

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.