PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
It depends. I don't like seeing any living creature being harmed without just cause or provocation. But I also understand that the natural world can be rather unforgiving. Even a vegetarian or vegan diet demands the maiming or killing of animals in the process of harvesting and protecting crops. So, if one were to make the amelioration of elimination of suffering as their foundational moral principle, they would inevitably hit a ceiling or have to take their moral logic to a rather extreme conclusion (e.g. asceticism). That doesn't make that way of thinking invalid, mind you; most moral and ethical frameworks are ideals that cannot be adhered to with perfect consistency by even the most well-intentioned, well-educated, and/or privileged individuals.

I bring this up because I think a lot of people are inclined to view matters of right and wrong within a framework of moral deserts. Animals are not moral agents, and whatever harm is wrought upon them, especially by humans who do have moral agency, is naturally repugnant to us if good reason for that harm cannot be established (e.g. killing an animal to provide food for your family).

In many films, the harming of animal is usually a cheap emotional ploy to get the audience invested by humanizing and dehumanizing the players in the narrative. For example, someone mentioned John Wick earlier, which is a good example of what I mean. It makes John Wick seem heroic and human even though he is just a killer for hire, and by extension, it makes whatever harm he inflicts on his enemies seem just, which makes the violence all the more entertaining and cathartic. The irony here is that the dog relegated as being a prop device and not something with intrinsic value. The lost Lenore/dead wife tropes are also examples of this.

For me at least, I understand films are fantasy, so I can watch these films provided no real harm is done to the animals (or humans, for that matter). I usually refrain from movies that involve animals because, well, most of them are cloying shitfests or aimed at really young children. Not looking down on people who enjoy those kinds of films, but they aren't for me.

I will say, however, that some people--and I'm not saying anyone here is guilty of this--almost seem to brag about how little they care about the harming of humans versus other animals. That, to me, is a very strange flex. It's like, yea, Hitler loved his dog, too, man. But whatever.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I feel your pain Bob, I kinda feel bad when I jump on one of those mobile mushrooms to smoosh them. Have you happened to of watched this film EO though? It manages to be poignant, very sad and even beautiful at times. That poor sweet donkey never seems to lose its innocence despite the despicable world around him and pays for it. I went to the trouble of reading the ending this morning and Well.. despite some turns in fortune it didn't turn out well for that majestic creature. If I had a piece of land I could keep such creatures a donkey would be at the top of the list.
I think it takes an extra small sized coward to be cruel to children or animals. Like pick on someone that can take you in a fist fight or take you to court.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
That " arms of an angel" aspca comercial though! Absolutely change the Chanel when it comes on.

I once lived for hunting but can no longer do it. Came to a point that I couldn't watch the life drain from the animal. I have no issue with anyone who does. It's just no longer for me.

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
I gave up animal films and books when I was in the 4th grade. One of the networks aired ‘Where The Red Fern Grows’
Ironically and unfortunately my 5th grade teacher made the book part of his class. We all got our own copy of the book and followed along as he read it out loud.
I’m still getting shivers as I write this.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Mistreating animal sucks. You either kill it or leave it alone. And if you kill it, you better eat it.
I agree. It can be a controversial opinion from several angles, but I do think that killing an animal for a reason is just nature but killing an animal for thrills or entertainment is murder. That reason can be many things. Including just the fact that having some predators is healthy for prey animals. Like one of the scientific facts about certain herbivores is that when they have predators it doesn't change significantly how many of them die just how. One of the reasons is that predators keep them on their toes so they don't go back to the same foraging grounds. Which allows those areas to recover. I'd rather be shot or eaten by a wolf then starve slowly and painfully. But if you do it just for cruelty you're a sick puppy. Oh and trophy hunting is a much more complex issue then it seems like anyone wants to admit. The ins and outs on that you could write a book to get started on the great and good parts and the bad and terrible parts. Or not going to get into that here because I don't feel like I could honestly say anything qualified in the least on it without a ton of explanations and wells and buts and it depends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm full of my breakfast bacon, so I can't claim to be a purist, but as with many, some of my "best friends" in life have been four-footed, especially a childhood dog and a succession of cats over my adult life (and one cat when I was a toddler who brought me up right as a cat companion). If you pay attention, creatures can be as communicative as the best human conversationalists, once you pick up the non-verbal, though sometimes vocal, vocabulary. To be trusted by your companion creatures is about the highest honor -- no politics, prejudices, or bluffing. If they love you, you likely deserve to be loved.

My wife and I have read and heard audible books about horses who have not always been well treated, but have prevailed in life. Some of that is hard going, but inspiring.

Creatures can generate a lot of sentimentality, but usually the emotion is earned and deserved, which moves beyond sentimentality.

I have enjoyed the donkeys I've met. They are intensely sociable and size you up, and if you are agreeable, they are intensely sweet natured. They'll hang over the fence and "chat" for as long as you will. Goat kids are instantly friendly and will gladly eat your necktie while you cradle them.

My late wife defended her little terrier from a police dog swinging her purse like a morning star weapon, and the dog took the telling. Women's maternal instincts kick in and it's business.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've been blessed (cursed?) with an inability to take movies seriously. I simply cannot suspend reality in that manner for any length of time. Not that I don't enjoy watching them. Back in the day, when trip ropes were used, before horses were taught to "fall", I'd get a bit peeved with that cruelty.