SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Does anyone else find it hard to watch sad films about animals? My girlfriend and I tried to watch this movie EO last night, which was really well done (maybe too much so) but had to turn it off 1/3 through as we saw enough sad things happen to that sweet donkey. After I suggested that we cleanse our palates by watching some cheerful human maiming and murdering on Midsomer Murders which always manages to life our spirits.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I refuse to do it. I love animals and will not watch something in which the death of an animal plays a major part. You can show me all the human gore you want, but I derive no entertainment from animal suffering.

I stopped “John Wick” after the first 10 minutes or so and, no matter how much praise that series gets, I will not watch it. Same for “Marley & Me,” “Hachi,” and even the original Disney “Swiss Family Robinson,” which I turned off because of how the on-screen animals were actually being mistreated.

Jan 27, 2020
I refuse to do it. I love animals and will not watch something in which the death of an animal plays a major part. You can show me all the human gore you want, but I derive no entertainment from animal suffering.

I stopped “John Wick” after the first 10 minutes or so and, no matter how much praise that series gets, I will not watch it. Same for “Marley & Me,” “Hachi,” and even the original Disney “Swiss Family Robinson,” which I turned off because of how the on-screen animals were actually being mistreated.

Yea, well at least now the on set treatment of animals isn't what it once was...but who knows I guess.

Reactions: RonB and Briar Tuck

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Yea, well at least now the on set treatment of animals isn't what it once was...but who knows I guess.
In the U.S. every production company has the (voluntary) option to have representatives of the Humane Society on-set to monitor animal treatment. You’ll see the “No animals were harmed…” message in the credits of every production that does this, along with the Humane Society logo. I can’t speak to indie films, but the major studios seem to take their stewardship very seriously—even when the “animals” in question are cockroaches and spiders.

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Yep. I can watch Tony Montana murder his way up the food chain but somebody mistreating an animal l dont watch.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I saw my Grandfather slap a man off his horse because he was mistreating it, he had come for molasses we called Black Joe for his animals, he gave my Grandfather his container, he went and got the molasses, he came back and horse got antsy, the man started spurring the horse and hitting it on the head, my Grandfater was a big man, large gloves were too small, Grandfather grabbed the mane and slapped the man off the horse, afterwards he told me in Cajun French, they are animals but we are their protectors, I agree no mistreating.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
In the U.S. every production company has the (voluntary) option to have representatives of the Humane Society on-set to monitor animal treatment. You’ll see the “No animals were harmed…” message in the credits of every production that does this, along with the Humane Society logo. I can’t speak to indie films, but the major studios seem to take their stewardship very seriously—even when the “animals” in question are cockroaches and spiders.

Now if only the HSUS was a trustworthy entity, they’d be on to something. Alas, another money grubbing facade that has deep connections and an angle that no one dare to challenge.

Jan 27, 2020
I saw my Grandfather slap a man off his horse because he was mistreating it, he had come for molasses we called Black Joe for his animals, he gave my Grandfather his container, he went and got the molasses, he came back and horse got antsy, the man started spurring the horse and hitting it on the head, my Grandfater was a big man, large gloves were too small, Grandfather grabbed the mane and slapped the man off the horse, afterwards he told me in Cajun French, they are animals but we are their protectors, I agree no mistreating.

So you do get what I was getting at!

Anyways, I'm pretty sure the donkey in the film was well cared for and all the simulated violence happened off screen, but was too much for me to handle knowing that so many animals are mistreated without anyway to defend themselves.

I don't eat meat any longer but that's a personal choice which I don't feel a need to discuss or impose on others, but if I were to witness animal cruelty I hope I would be in the mind to say something about it. Although, my dog might actually be of the opinion that my snuggling is highly annoying at times.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Does anyone else find it hard to watch sad films about animals? My girlfriend and I tried to watch this movie EO last night, which was really well done (maybe too much so) but had to turn it off 1/3 through as we saw enough sad things happen to that sweet donkey. After I suggested that we cleanse our palates by watching some cheerful human maiming and murdering on Midsomer Murders which always manages to life our spirits.

It's certainly harder to watch. Children too actually well if they can act. I mean many kids are such bad actors that it never feels like more then pretend. But wait till you find out humans are animals too specifically primates which is a type of mammal generally described with the biological term a bunch of jerks.
The mind is funny. I swear I can abuse pedestrians all day in certain video games like GTA and get a kick out of it. But in the same game where I just blew up a bunch of people with plastic explosives and giggle about it, I feel bad when running from the cops I accidentally run one over. Seriously. Digital thrill kills fine, digital accidental manslaughter bad....

Jan 27, 2020
It's certainly harder to watch. Children too actually well if they can act. I mean many kids are such bad actors that it never feels like more then pretend. But wait till you find out humans are animals too specifically primates which is a type of mammal generally described with the biological term a bunch of jerks.
The mind is funny. I swear I can abuse pedestrians all day in certain video games like GTA and get a kick out of it. But in the same game where I just blew up a bunch of people with plastic explosives and giggle about it, I feel bad when running from the cops I accidentally run one over. Seriously. Digital thrill kills fine, digital accidental manslaughter bad....

I feel your pain Bob, I kinda feel bad when I jump on one of those mobile mushrooms to smoosh them. Have you happened to of watched this film EO though? It manages to be poignant, very sad and even beautiful at times. That poor sweet donkey never seems to lose its innocence despite the despicable world around him and pays for it. I went to the trouble of reading the ending this morning and Well.. despite some turns in fortune it didn't turn out well for that majestic creature. If I had a piece of land I could keep such creatures a donkey would be at the top of the list.