PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The whole idea of selling bulk tobacco is to spare the customer the expense of canning. Instead of taking on that expense at home, it makes more sense to just buy the canned product in the first place. (You'll also be getting mold "insurance" of a sort, and effortless labeling.)
Jars, of course, do a fine job and they're reuseable; but even so, buying tins is sometimes cheaper than investing in jars that will be dedicated to long term storage.
BUT, this is a hobby, and I get it that we all like to play with this stuff.

Jan 8, 2013
The whole idea of selling bulk tobacco is to spare the customer the expense of canning. Instead of taking on that expense at home, it makes more sense to just buy the canned product in the first place. (You'll also be getting mold "insurance" of a sort, and effortless labeling.)
Jars, of course, do a fine job and they're reuseable.
Some blends only come tinned, and some blends only come in bulk. My main reasoning behind this is for buying bulk blends that do not come tinned, at which point they're likely going to get thrown in a jar possibly to age in the cellar. It's easier to stack tins than it is jars, if space is an issue, and they're far less likely to break if dropped or knocked over, or perhaps transported during a move. So why not tin them (if we could) instead of putting them in a jar? So I'm hoping someone may have done this who could chime in with their results.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ya, I can see that for bulk-only blends, and the jar handling issues too.

So, my math says that if you can do this for less than $0.75 /can -- bottom line -- it should be a go.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Don't overlook the substantial capital cost- over $300, as well as time and energy to set up a canning operation each time you receive a bulk order.
Still, an interesting idea.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Back in the day the Bufflehead shop would tin McClelland blends for you. I have a few tins of the old Bufflehead blends McC made for them. Decoy was a favorite of mine, a variation of 2015.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Smoke 'em if you got 'em. I don't care as long as it tastes great.
I smoke a pipe because I love the experience and the flavor and the relaxing aspects of the process.
I really could care less about whether some rust on the tin is present. Savor the flavor and the aged leaf. :puffy:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Back in the day the Bufflehead shop would tin McClelland blends for you.

When Murray closed and Dunhill left the US market I thought about tinning my bulk Dunhill mixtures like Bufflehead but I found a sealer and cans were too expensive.I should look into it again figuring in that same aged bulk Dunhill and aged McClelland. 8O

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Just a real quick, back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that you can be cost-competitive with glass jarring at about the 50 lbs. volume level. I can't imagine there are too many pipe smokers who would want that much of the typical bulk-only blends being sold, but co-ops and pipe clubs might take an interest. And in a hobby, who needs to completely amortize overhead costs anyway?
I think Anthony may have started something here. :lol:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I see a downside inasmuch as once one buys the canning device, then one is obliged to buy their blank cans and lids which I'll bet are sized to fit that machine and that machine only.
Otherwise it's an idea that does have potential, particularly to the tobacco growers on the forum.
Regards,
Jay.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
I would take a look at mylar over canning. I've been using 7 mil mylar bags to store tobacco. Wished I had been using them all along. I wont be using jars anymore for long term storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.