PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
The only ones I've tried I've found to be decent, but not great, and pretty reminiscent of CT-shade... Which I'm usually not a huge fan of (there are exceptions). I'd very much like to try the Illusione candelas because I stan the brand in general and really like the regular "core documents" line.

I really enjoyed the Black Works Killer Bee (I think) which was some type of maduro with a candela foot and some stripes around the head. I do think there was more than wh asst was visible though because the entire cigar seemed to be influenced by it.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I have not yet smoked any cigar with a candela wrapper.
I am interested in some tasting notes, once your question is answered

The taste is almost akin to a virginia. It's a hay like note, but with the earthiness of a cigar. For me, when it's done well, like in the Illusione, it's an excellent compliment. I highly recommend trying one.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
So is the green color and different flavor effected by a shorter cure? I had thought curing to tan or brown was required to fix both color and taste. I guess the short Candela cure also does this.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
So is the green color and different flavor effected by a shorter cure? I had thought curing to tan or brown was required to fix both color and taste. I guess the short Candela cure also does this.

I found this cigar aficionado article that goes into the process. I'm assuming there's a bit more that goes into it, but it's really interesting to see that candelas were the most popular cigar from 1958-1970.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I'm enjoying the Fuente Flora Fina Claro, which is very green like candela. Fairly mild with a pungent room note. I'd like to try the 858 candela too.

I enjoy mild cigars though, and am no snob. I like several affordable cigars.

Status
Not open for further replies.