PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
I don't know whether to post this under Pipe Clubs, Pipe Events, or Legislation, but I want to share bad news from Edinburgh Pipe Club:
Mark Dyer, President of UK Federation of Pipe Clubs, has confirmed that unfortunately the competition and "trade show" elements of this year's event in Nottingham have been cancelled due to the problems caused by new legislation. As a result, there will just be a get-together in one of the Nottingham pubs that has a decent beer garden and smoking area.
I wish them all a fun time together regardless.
Jay

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like they're rolling with the punch, but also being bullied out of their event. I'm so sorry to hear it.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I can already see it happening, you better grab up as much British OTC's now before they are gone too!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Very sad news. It disgusts me how governments all over the world are in attack mode against us pipe smokers. I really think we should just line em all up, bend them over and then let professional horse studs have at em.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
happy-horse_c8k.jpg

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
As a UK resident, I was able to go to last year's event for the first time and what a great time all of us had. I am terribly disappointed at this news. There seems to be no end to the manipulation of the powers-that-be to stall this kind of thing. It may be that the legislation in question is a very localised matter, to do with premises and by-laws, but even so, for such a national event to be cancelled is sad. The non-showcasing will also affect all the traders who might have been relying on things like this. I don't think I'll travel a total of six hours just to get to a pub for a smoke this year. Thanks for letting us know.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
I might also add that I wish the organisers every success in this. Perhaps something can be salvaged or next year will come up with a different venue. Perhaps I ought to go to that pub as a show of solidarity? We will see.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I am still interested in the 'new legislation' in question.

Does anybody know what that is?

:puffpipe:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry to hear. I hope things can get sorted out and next year the show can go on. I've had a blast every year I've gone to the West Coast Pipe Show here in Las Vegas. Everyone should be able to get to experience a pipe show!

macfeegle

Lurker
Jul 23, 2015
Are any of the organisers on here? I belong to another UK non pipe related group on FB that regularly organises weekend meets for between 100-1000 people with marquees, bar, camping/caravan area all catered for. If they are looking for a venue we may be able to arrange something for next year.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Bummer for all of us in the UK, I had better start panic buying.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I also attended last years show for the first time, great time it was too. I hope i'm wrong in saying that the official show will be done with now, unless a loophole can be found.
Such a shame, sometimes I wish I was born many years earlier!

Status
Not open for further replies.