PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’m accumulating some pipes from Canadian carvers. It looks like we are past the heyday of Canadian carvers, so I‘m glad to get unsmoked examples of pipes from these men, two of which are deceased, and one in the game for over 60 years.

I am blessed that Canadian carvers seem to have produced humble pipes for regular folks, alongside their fancy expensive ones. Here are a John Calich 2002 billiard, a Philip Trypis rusticated billiard, and a nice short Julius Vesz billiard. They’re all no-nonsense: briar bowl, no adornment, stingers, or filters, and all have a vulcanite fishtail stem.

CD2A3265-0674-431A-958F-08DA33E41C37.jpeg

The Calich appears to be 2002, I think six years before his death. He was an avid motorcyclist, so this pipe will probably accompany me on my motorcycle trips to commemorate its maker. Stem work looks nice and thin, with a really deep, gradual funnel at the bit. Nice attention to detail. I had to polish it the stem, as it had oxidized waiting for me for 19 years. The dot on top appears to be steel!

F42690F9-DE18-4F6E-A745-C00B2F906D4B.jpeg

The Trypis has his unusual rustication. I’ve warmed to it, as it‘s the grippiest stuff I have ever held. Looks like dragonscale to me. He must have turned these out at a great pace, as they aren’t expensive at all. The button is a bit bigger and rounder than the other two, keeping with the theme of grippiness with the rustication.

F5BC4D5A-7FF0-490F-BB8F-22ECA29F4AFB.jpeg

And last is a new Julius Vesz pipe. He is still making pipes, at 87! I thought that was amazing, so I ventured to get one, and found he makes pipes everywhere from thousand dollar gold capped pipes, to the humble 5” pocket billiard below. Like Castello, he says they each have quality aged briar, but the more expensive ones have prettier grain. The shaping on this one you can tell is done by hand, as the curves are not completely smooth, showing signs of hand work. But I find that a great reminder of a long career and fortitude it takes to be 87 and still making anything other than complaints.

24DF757F-94A3-416B-9F69-D27FED273EDD.jpeg

Thats it for now. I have some more Canadian carver pipes to get, although I dare say I’ll probably never have a Michael Parks unless he starts giving them away. Anyone have any to show that I should know about?

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The Vesz pipe isn't exactly a style for which he is known. There are a number of Canadian carvers around so you can still get good pipes native to Canada.
No, that billiard is not his signature work. But I prefer the simple shapes.

Any idea of more Canadian carvers? I found a list on some website, but they were almost all deceased or their websites were gone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I believe Trypis was a senior carver at Brigham before he went on his own. For a while, a Forums member seemed to offer several new Trypis pipes for sale every week or two. SP is offering a number of Trypis pipes, unsmoked, in their estate pipe pages, for around USD 70 or 80. I like his pipes and the folksy rustication, but they duplicate sizes and shapes I already have. He had a real touch with acorn shape.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I've been trying to add a pipe from a Canadian carver or company for a while. Anyone got some suggestions? I know Brigham used to make pipes in Canada and I think there was a company called Blatter and Blatter out of Quebec. What else is out there?

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have two Julius Vesz pipes. One is a bent apple that is one of my favourite pipes. Everything smoked easily in it and it seems like it is part of my hand. I also have a Trypis square panel that I am very fond of. I have 2 one dot Blatter and Blatter pipes.

They can be found here:

Reactions: AroEnglish

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Crazy Stephen Downie out on the west coast, myself here in the middle of nowhere in Alberta, I think Ian Barnes is still making pipes in Edmonton, there's Nathaniel Rose in Hamilton, Mike Parks is out there somewhere, Gio Placentile... there's a handful yet that I've forgotten too I'm sure.

Reactions: Casual

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I
Crazy Stephen Downie out on the west coast, myself here in the middle of nowhere in Alberta, I think Ian Barnes is still making pipes in Edmonton, there's Nathaniel Rose in Hamilton, Mike Parks is out there somewhere, Gio Placentile... there's a handful yet that I've forgotten too I'm sure.
Ian Barnes is True North Briar, I think.

Pipeoff

Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I’m accumulating some pipes from Canadian carvers. It looks like we are past the heyday of Canadian carvers, so I‘m glad to get unsmoked examples of pipes from these men, two of which are deceased, and one in the game for over 60 years.

I am blessed that Canadian carvers seem to have produced humble pipes for regular folks, alongside their fancy expensive ones. Here are a John Calich 2002 billiard, a Philip Trypis rusticated billiard, and a nice short Julius Vesz billiard. They’re all no-nonsense: briar bowl, no adornment, stingers, or filters, and all have a vulcanite fishtail stem.

View attachment 64216

The Calich appears to be 2002, I think six years before his death. He was an avid motorcyclist, so this pipe will probably accompany me on my motorcycle trips to commemorate its maker. Stem work looks nice and thin, with a really deep, gradual funnel at the bit. Nice attention to detail. I had to polish it the stem, as it had oxidized waiting for me for 19 years. The dot on top appears to be steel!

View attachment 64217

The Trypis has his unusual rustication. I’ve warmed to it, as it‘s the grippiest stuff I have ever held. Looks like dragonscale to me. He must have turned these out at a great pace, as they aren’t expensive at all. The button is a bit bigger and rounder than the other two, keeping with the theme of grippiness with the rustication.

View attachment 64218

And last is a new Julius Vesz pipe. He is still making pipes, at 87! I thought that was amazing, so I ventured to get one, and found he makes pipes everywhere from thousand dollar gold capped pipes, to the humble 5” pocket billiard below. Like Castello, he says they each have quality aged briar, but the more expensive ones have prettier grain. The shaping on this one you can tell is done by hand, as the curves are not completely smooth, showing signs of hand work. But I find that a great reminder of a long career and fortitude it takes to be 87 and still making anything other than complaints.

View attachment 64219

Thats it for now. I have some more Canadian carver pipes to get, although I dare say I’ll probably never have a Michael Parks unless he starts giving them away. Anyone have any to show that I should know about?

Pipeoff

Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Showing off some of my Calich collection. I met John at his home workshop in the late 1980’s. He made only about 50 pipes a year. He was noted to use partially hand rustication to focus on the grain. He was quick to point out that the rustication was not used to cover up briar imperfections. When asked about the silver dot on the stem, he only smiled. John dated his pipes and the grade seemed more on size because the same quality of wood. He was known as The Canadian Secret. His BMW bike purred like a kitten.

Attachments

• 1583BF31-558A-4818-813B-06E6C392EA7D.jpeg
    1583BF31-558A-4818-813B-06E6C392EA7D.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Casual and MattRVA

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Trips was the man if you wanted a pipe made in Canada that was thoroughly distinctive and didn't cost hundreds of dollars. I guess a source these days would be Blatter & Blatter of Montreal.