PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
You guys are good. The pipes are, top to bottom:

1. Mike Bay
2. Tom Eltang (I smoke this one often)
3. Henri Sorensen
4. HS Studio Road Town (eBay photo below)
5. Tom Eltang

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpeg
    IMG_0266.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0271.png
    IMG_0271.png
    183 KB · Views: 31

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
Here are the 5 stampings. The Chinese stamping is really indecipherable:

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpeg
    IMG_0278.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0279.jpeg
    IMG_0279.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0277.jpeg
    IMG_0277.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0281.jpeg
    IMG_0281.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0280.jpeg
    IMG_0280.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: BenMN

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
Going out for a nightcap now and to walk the Doberman. I’ll let you know in about 30 minutes lol
Ok I’m back from my walk. I did give the pipe a fighting chance by loading it with some 2005 GL Pease I picked up at the Columbus show. Surprisingly, the pipe stayed lit with only one light. There was some gurgle at the bottom even though the GLP was dry. The forward cant of the bowl and curve of the stem kept the smoke out of my eyes while clenching and holding on to the dog leash.

The mouthfeel of the button had that soft plastic feel of a low end cob. I was definitely wrong about it being ebonite. When I went to clean it, the pipe cleaner would not pass so I had to take it apart. It does have a metal tenon. See photo.

Would I rather have 10 of these than one Eltang? No, of course not. It’s kind of like wearing a fake Rolex; it keeps time but you find yourself putting your hand in your jacket pocket when you run into a watch snob buddy while you’re wearing it.

The HS will find a place of honor in the glove box of my pick up truck and will come in handy while I’m waiting for my wife outside of Costco on a Saturday morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpeg
    IMG_0283.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
I have a few of those HS Studio pipes. I've only gotten one outright bad one--two smokes and the clear finish on the outside bubbled up, flaked off, etc. The others have been fine, but they are all really small and feel quite cheap. I wouldn't be afraid to just leave one in the car for quick smokes, in a backpack, etc.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm thinking #4,, because of the equality of the bamboo and the stem.

Don't blame me if it's your most expensive pipe...
We blame you for all of our bad choices. All of them. We want to be like you, but don't know much so we just assume you must be like the worst stereotype of Hollywood. I blame you every time I look at the stupid purse dog I bought and then treated like an accessory instead of a dog or Chet and his stupid rap "career".
Sorry that's all lies.

• Haha
Reactions: sablebrush52

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Ok I’m back from my walk. I did give the pipe a fighting chance by loading it with some 2005 GL Pease I picked up at the Columbus show. Surprisingly, the pipe stayed lit with only one light. There was some gurgle at the bottom even though the GLP was dry. The forward cant of the bowl and curve of the stem kept the smoke out of my eyes while clenching and holding on to the dog leash.

The mouthfeel of the button had that soft plastic feel of a low end cob. I was definitely wrong about it being ebonite. When I went to clean it, the pipe cleaner would not pass so I had to take it apart. It does have a metal tenon. See photo.

Would I rather have 10 of these than one Eltang? No, of course not. It’s kind of like wearing a fake Rolex; it keeps time but you find yourself putting your hand in your jacket pocket when you run into a watch snob buddy while you’re wearing it.

The HS will find a place of honor in the glove box of my pick up truck and will come in handy while I’m waiting for my wife outside of Costco on a Saturday morning.
glad I don't have any watch snob buddies. ;)

Two of my favorite bamboos are Stanwell, and I would have sworn the ones made by Eltang were Stanwells, but it makes sense, he would have been their designer when my pipes were made.
I have a few HS Studio pipes also, and I replaced the bits with some that I made from vulcanite. I was also told, before I bought them, that they were made by a Chinese pipemaker whose studio is in Canada. I have no more information on this. Just thought it was interesting.