Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

S

ScienceSmoker

I've had this really beautiful pipe for a while, and it's always bothered me a bit. It has nice straight grain all the way around, plus it seems expertly carved. It really does look like a fairly professional job. But the only marking is this sloppy, basically illegible symbol on the bottom of the shank that looks like it was either done with some engraving tool or even a fine-tipped soldering iron. I really don't know what to make of it.

Does anyone recognize this symbol, or pipe? Thanks!
mystery1.jpgmystery2.jpgmystery3.jpgmystery4.jpgmystery5.jpgmystery6.jpg

M

Magnum207

I've had this really beautiful pipe for a while, and it's always bothered me a bit. It has nice straight grain all the way around, plus it seems expertly carved. It really does look like a fairly professional job. But the only marking is this sloppy, basically illegible symbol on the bottom of the shank that looks like it was either done with some engraving tool or even a fine-tipped soldering iron. I really don't know what to make of it.

Does anyone recognize this symbol, or pipe? Thanks!
View attachment 109875View attachment 109876View attachment 109877View attachment 109878View attachment 109879View attachment 109880
First, I agree that it sure looks like a professionally crafted pipe. It has that “Denmark Freehand” shape often seen in Ben Wade (Preben Holm era) pipes.
The only maker’s mark I have ever seen that even remotely resembles yours is “S&R” pipes….. Stephen and Roswitha Anderson of Columbus, Ohio. He’s passed, but she still run their Pipes and Tobacco shop, “Pipes and Pleasures.” I believe Roswitha still makes pipes. I have approximately 15 of them, all made prior to his death. Nonetheless, their stamp/mark is very distinct and crisp, however; I am not sure if they used that stamp when they first commenced making their pipes. Also, I’ve never seen an S&R “freehand,” so I am also unaware if they ever made any.
You have an awesome pipe, I hope someone can assist in narrowing down its talented maker. Like I mentioned, the only maker’s mark I have ever seen that even is remotely close to that is S&R Pipes, so I am quite confident I am of no help to you.

Reactions: ScienceSmoker

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
A lot of pipemakers hand etch their mark on very early pipes they make before they invest in a stamp. Magnum207 may be onto something there. You might contact Roswitha at Pipes and Pleasures to see if she recognizes it. Cool pipe and story if you can track it back to a maker.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The fact that the pipe has no actual stamp, and doesn't give the nation of origin, makes me think it may be the work of a talented amateur or an artisan carver who may or may not have continued in the business. The etching is more like a cattle brand than a pipe logo, and I don't know what to make of that. It's a fun mystery, and I will watch this thread. The knowledge of some of these members is sometimes astounding.

S

ScienceSmoker

First, I agree that it sure looks like a professionally crafted pipe. It has that “Denmark Freehand” shape often seen in Ben Wade (Preben Holm era) pipes.
The only maker’s mark I have ever seen that even remotely resembles yours is “S&R” pipes….. Stephen and Roswitha Anderson of Columbus, Ohio. He’s passed, but she still run their Pipes and Tobacco shop, “Pipes and Pleasures.” I believe Roswitha still makes pipes. I have approximately 15 of them, all made prior to his death. Nonetheless, their stamp/mark is very distinct and crisp, however; I am not sure if they used that stamp when they first commenced making their pipes. Also, I’ve never seen an S&R “freehand,” so I am also unaware if they ever made any.
You have an awesome pipe, I hope someone can assist in narrowing down its talented maker. Like I mentioned, the only maker’s mark I have ever seen that even is remotely close to that is S&R Pipes, so I am quite confident I am of no help to you.
Interesting. I have 2 S&R pipes myself. Both are fairly large and robust. But I'll definitely email her and ask. What an amazing thing that would be! I actually got my first S&R, a straight grain, for $18 on ebay, because the seller didn't know the stamp.

S

ScienceSmoker

The fact that the pipe has no actual stamp, and doesn't give the nation of origin, makes me think it may be the work of a talented amateur or an artisan carver who may or may not have continued in the business. The etching is more like a cattle brand than a pipe logo, and I don't know what to make of that. It's a fun mystery, and I will watch this thread. The knowledge of some of these members is sometimes astounding.
This is what I suspect. I have quite a few nice, but unmarked, pipes. There are lots of talented amateur pipemakers out there.