Can You Explain the Magic 7 Minute Mark?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

o2jmpr

Lurker
Apr 28, 2021
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I'd like to pick the brains of the more experienced here to see if anyone can explain this magical mystery I'm experiencing.

Background:
I love Prince Albert and smoke it exclusively (at least until I run out!). It doesn't matter what packing method I employ, how moist or dry the tobacco is, nor what pipe I use. I light, set a timer and ease into my super relaxed, tiny sip cadence. The tobacco is always tasteless (just "smoke") until I hit the 7:00 minute mark. Then, the retrohale instantly transforms into the magical Raisin Bran type flavor that I love and stays with it until the last puff.

Why, oh why, does this occur? It drives me insane and I feel like the first half if my smoke is just wasted tobacco. My only theory about is that possibly it takes 7:00 minutes for everything to heat up to a specific temperature where the tobacco just blooms it's flavor and then it's easy to maintain. I would like to get this flavor burst sooner and have tried this theory by purposefully trying to smoke a little hotter at the beginning but no dice. It's always 7 minutes give or take 15 seconds.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Last edited by a moderator:

o2jmpr

Lurker
Apr 28, 2021
I think after two weeks of struggling with this I've answered my own question. Maybe I just needed to type it out loud here in order to reflect more on it.

Now I believe I've been lighting too harshly. I'm using butane but would do a teasing charring light and then the true light would be flame over bowl and 3 or 4 medium-deep pulls of the flame into the tobacco without ever pulling the lighter away from the bowl to give it a thermal rest.
Wondering now if I'm not getting any flavor because I have to work down past the top charred and over-heated layer until I hit fresh, unmolested tobacco. I'm a creature of precise habit, so.... the 7 minutes could be indicative of my lighting consistency. I'll play around with matches and a softer light to see what happens.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Super unhelpful. Hope you feel better.

Sorry, just my honest answer. I do think with just about any blend, the flavor kicks in a bit after the initial light and tamp. I always just assumed it took a bit for the ember to get fully going, the tobacco to warm up a bit and the draw to settle in. It seems kind of consistent so I never gave it much thought. Doesn't take 7 minutes though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never mind the blend or the lighter, it takes a certain amount of time for an ember to get burning and engage all of the tobaccos and flavoring in the flavor. It's true, some blends just burst with flavor from the touch of the flame, but in my experience, most take a few minutes to hit their stride. And it's true, lighting your pipe with a welder's torch is probably overkill.

o2jmpr

Lurker
Apr 28, 2021
I do think with just about any blend, the flavor kicks in a bit after the initial light and tamp. I always just assumed it took a bit for the ember to get fully going, the tobacco to warm up a bit and the draw to settle in. It seems kind of consistent so I never gave it much thought. Doesn't take 7 minutes though.
it takes a certain amount of time for an ember to get burning and engage all of the tobaccos and flavoring in the flavor.
Ok, this IS super helpful. I think I got it under control better. I lit much softer and got into my rhythm. After a couple minutes I noticed smoke production was too weak and no flavor so I stoked the ember with fingers over the bowl a few puffs and got the good flavor by the third minute and finished the bowl in bliss.

Lesson learned was:
It's better to light soft and tamp/stoke the ember if required and then be patient until the blend "gives up the ghost" and releases its spirit.

Thank you both.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think after two weeks of struggling with this I've answered my own question. Maybe I just needed to type it out loud here in order to reflect more on it.

Now I believe I've been lighting too harshly. I'm using butane but would do a teasing charring light and then the true light would be flame over bowl and 3 or 4 medium-deep pulls of the flame into the tobacco without ever pulling the lighter away from the bowl to give it a thermal rest.
Wondering now if I'm not getting any flavor because I have to work down past the top charred and over-heated layer until I hit fresh, unmolested tobacco. I'm a creature of precise habit, so.... the 7 minutes could be indicative of my lighting consistency. I'll play around with matches and a softer light to see what happens.
that's my guess. After switching to matches, a pipe zippo, and occasionally a soft flame (for things like oh I have to pull the wick out further or smoking my tiny pipe) I found far less this happening. More instant flavor and less hot air.