Can You Evaluate Draw/Smoke Quality of a Pipe Without Smoking It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Obviously it's a big no-no to pick up a pipe for sale and wrap your lips around it for a test draw. So are there any ways to evaluate whether or not a pipe will smoke well just by looking at it or holding it? Maybe by taking off the stem and looking at the airway? I'm thinking about the Chicago Pipe Show coming up in less than weeks, where I'll get to admire and thousands of pipes for sale that could potentially be mine (although budget constraints will surely narrow my prospects). How do you evaluate quality in hand?

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
I'd say having a look at the drilling where it meets the bowl, mortise and tenon and seeing how a cleaner runs through it are a couple indicators of possible performance, though even with perfect engineering, wood is wood and every piece is individual; have to smoke it to really see how it'll do.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At a pipe show, many or most of the exhibitors will be able to tell you what the size of the airway is, which will give you and idea about the openness of the draw. Examination of the airway at the bowl will give a clue about this as well. With some factory pipes, there is a standard airway -- Ropps are a little tight, Stanwell's are open, and so forth, in my experience. I guess someone could invent a little bellows or baster bulb that would provide a puff of air that would let you listen to the airway without putting your lips on it. I think anything that has you puffing your breath through the airway is verboten, like using your thumbs as a mouthpiece, so don't do that.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I think you can just by looking. If it looks drilled proper and large enough, you may even try the "pipe cleaner" test (not a sure indicator IMO).

The only thing passing a pipecleaner will show you is that it will pass a pipecleaner. Eh, just grab the pipe and blow in it. If the vendors throws a fit, punch them in the face. Buy it if you like the draw, toss it back on the table if you don't. Man up! The customer is always right, right?

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Listening to the Country Squire Radio Show, I once heard John David say that they keep some pipe rubbers around for people to "try on" the pipe. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that personally but it sounded like an interesting idea.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Texmexpipe heard right. B&M stores always seemed to have plastic (think short cello wrappers ala cigars) around so you could try on the pipe. I don't remember these having holes in them so you could test the draw though. I suspect carrying a pipe cleaner and a small pen light. Too much taking pipes apart might kinda rub the seller the wrong way and could result in employing the "you break it you bought it doctrine. Manners first and foremost. I suggest asking before taking a pipe apart.
My two cents.
Mike S.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A good question that sadly lacks a definitive answer. I'm afraid to tell you that experience is your friend here but certainly no guarantee (as is the pipe cleaner test). Sometimes even savvy veterans strike out. I'd recommend sticking to your comfort zone for makers/shapes,stems, etc. That should increase your odds (as well as limit your success!) See, there's no real answer.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I go by who made the pipe as I have a lot of experience with artisans and factories. I also buy shapes and sizes based on how well it will smoke certain types of blends. Rarely do I get a pipe that is not exactly what I am looking for. Having a set criteria when buying a pipe helps a whole lot. Know what size, inside bowl depth, inside bowl width, shank dimensions, length of pipe, thickness of walls, weight of pipe, bowl height, These are some of my criteria.
I used to buy willy nilly and ended up with pipes that did not fit the types of tobacco I was smoking. It takes time and experience and with a site like this, you can ask questions and get answers before you buy a pipe that is not suited for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.