PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoinville

Lurker
Apr 8, 2012
Recently just had some old pipes handed down through the family and wanted to know about them. I have so far been unsuccessful trying to google them and was wanting help?

1.extra ROPP made in france

2.AVON made in france

3."CORONA" london made

4.Real Bejan (think, hard to read the style of writting that small) made in italy
2-4 were my grandmas fathers and number 1 was her grandfathers

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=W&srch=DW&tier2=405 here are a few ropp pipes , sorry best o could do.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
First off welcome to the site. I haven't heard of any of those brands before but that means little. There are many brands that slip under the collective radar that are fantastic smokers. If you're looking for ideas on how much they are worth, eBay would be the best source, but possibly time consuming. If you have pictures it might help since we can get more info by looking.
-Jason

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I know for sure that Roop is a great smoker because I had one. If you ever want to part with it, show me some pics and I'll contact you. As for the rest, sorry, I cannot help.

hoinville

Lurker
Apr 8, 2012
sorry computer very slow!
p1019265-600x450.jpg

p1019266-600x450.jpg

p1019276-600x441.jpg

p1019277-600x413.jpg

p1019267-600x280.jpg

p1019268-600x392.jpg

p1019270-600x197.jpg

p1019274-600x438.jpg

hoinville

Lurker
Apr 8, 2012
thank you cortezattic for link, i now think the ROPP one is made of cherry wood. But didnt help much more than that.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
The Real Bejan (or whatever it is) is a nice example of a paneled pipe. Apart from that simplistic observation I can't tell you any more than what has already been said.
One of the fascinating things about this hobby is the sheer number of pipes that were made and sold and how many of these relics are still around to this day. Getting a bit philosophical about it, sometimes I think about it when I'm puffing away on a an estate (our term for "used") pipe, I wonder about who smoked it before me and if they thought that someone else would be smoking the same pipe years down the road...
Anyway, I hope you can find some more info on your collection. While you're here, please be sure to say "hello" in the NEW MEMBERS THREAD and familiarize yourself with the FORUM RULES as running afoul them will attract the attention of your friendly neighborhood Moderator team (LAWRENCE, MARK and MYSELF) or even Kevin (site owner/ Big Kahuna).
Enjoy your time here and we look forward to more of your posts!
-Jason

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I'm sure #4 says Real Briar. #2 and #3 were probably made by one of the large pipe factories in their country of origin and branded differently for different markets. So even though the pipes say Avon and Corona, there arent any pipe manufacturers by that name (that I know of anyway, I certainly could be wrong).

They are probably all pretty good pipes.

Enjoy

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
To give a nod to lonestar, he's dealt with a fair number of estates, so I tend to listen to him. Obviously, there may be some with more knowledge of these things, but they haven't turned up here yet.
hoinville, out of curiosity what brand did the Granddads smoke?
-Jason

hoinville

Lurker
Apr 8, 2012
considering my grandma is 92 and the three simpler ones are her fathers and the ropp is her grandfathers, I have no idea what brand of tobacco. It still has a very strong scent in the pipe.
Dad was also given a box of Victor Hugo cigars

hoinville

Lurker
Apr 8, 2012
Thank you for everyones help. I was hopeing to get approx. dates so they could be mounted in order for my father. Sorry all for the disappointment, they wont be smoked and they are passed down in the family so they are not for sale either

Status
Not open for further replies.