PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I forgot about a tin of Squadron Leader that I recently found. I had marked the tin that I had opened it 04.02.2019. One year old. When I opened it again, it felt seriously dried out. Smoked it in a new Peterson and it smoked fine. I usually transfer my opened tins to sealed Ball/Mason jars and they never seem to get this dried out. Once you open a tin, can it just be kept in the tin for a few years ? I have found that when I let my tobacco dry out some, it smokes better. I am not a fan of moist tobacco.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I think tobacco can become too dry, but it has never happened to me. Like you, I transfer tobacco to jars, unless if I know I'll smoke it within a couple of months, then I'll just keep it in the tin.
I guess it matters where you live.

This tin was actually stored inside my house away from sunlight or any vents so not as much temperature varience as the tobacco I keep stored in my garage. I figured if the varience in temperature works for aging whiskey, maybe it does the same for tobacco. That's just wishful thinking on my part. Who knows?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I forgot about a tin of Squadron Leader that I recently found. I had marked the tin that I had opened it 04.02.2019. One year old. When I opened it again, it felt seriously dried out. Smoked it in a new Peterson and it smoked fine. I usually transfer my opened tins to sealed Ball/Mason jars and they never seem to get this dried out. Once you open a tin, can it just be kept in the tin for a few years ? I have found that when I let my tobacco dry out some, it smokes better. I am not a fan of moist tobacco.
I like dry tobacco too. The leaves hang for months before bought and processed, but once processed and left dry for too long, it does loose some of its flavor. That being said, I have a tin of Marlin Flake I opened four years ago, forgot about it, recently found it, and it's still quite pliant and very smokable.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
This tin was actually stored inside my house away from sunlight or any vents so not as much temperature varience as the tobacco I keep stored in my garage. I figured if the varience in temperature works for aging whiskey, maybe it does the same for tobacco. That's just wishful thinking on my part. Who knows?

It works for whiskey because the temperature change causes the whiskey to go in and out of the charred oak staves that make the barrel, giving it the color and flavor we love. I don’t think that’s going to happen to tobacco leaves in a tin can.

As for being too dry? I have no idea. Nowhere near enough experience.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Decades ago, when I smoked cigarettes, I found that I got a slight headache from stale tobacco. If I dry out Virginia pipe tobacco too much, I find I get the same effect.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I don’t know if it can be “too dry” but it can be dry too long. Once all those wonderful essential oils are gone, the blend has to be handled differently to get any flavor out of it. I prescribe to Rich Esserman’s method of mixing it with something fresh.

Mike S.

Reactions: Tommy Boy and BROBS

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
The answer to this is a simple yes. If you have ever dealt with old (ie 30+ yr old) tobacco, you would realize that a conversion to dust is distinctly possible. Dust does not make a good smoke. Most things in life have a too limit.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Some of my favorite Esoterica blends have a very optimal moisture level for best taste. Almost crunchy but with a little "stickiness" for lack of a better description. Too moist and they steam, too dry and there's some magic lost. These are the Virginia based blends, such as Brighton, Dunbar, Scarborough, etc.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and dcon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think tobacco can get pretty dry and remain completely smokeable, and in some cases better than if it had been maintained as moist as it came new. That's not to say tobacco can't dry out and get powdery and lose its flavor. The old square rigger sailors didn't have many pleasures, and tobacco was one of the few, and they kept their tobacco mostly in cloth bags with a draw string. There may have been some humidity at sea below decks, but cloth bags aren't sealed jars. I have kept small quantities like samples in ziplock bags, and some tobacco in the tubs it arrived in, and while none of this is recommended, often the tobacco stays tasty, smokeable.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I have left a tin open and forgot about it in my camper. It was open for 3 weeks. I found it when we were getting ready for our next trip. It was still "good" but it did seem to loose some flavor and burned faster to me. Left an areo tin open for a few days and it lost most of its flavor but smoked cooler. Just didnt taste or smell like it should have. For me yes it can be too dry.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I will say that if you are going to leave the tobacco in an opened tin for a long time, the shape of the tin matters IMO. The rectangular tins seem to have a poorer seal than the round tins.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I prefer tobacco dry, probably dryer than many people, so no, it can’t be too dry for me. That is, as long as you can still load the pipe without it crumbling to dust.
Also, with extra dry tobacco, I find that the moisture generated from combustion begins to rehydrate the tobacco below, at least if your cadence is moderate and give it a chance to absorb. Particularly true in a stack or deeper chamber pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.