PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I came across this modest but handsome pipe here at SmokingPipes.com. I am puzzled at their labeling this pipe an "oval shanked Billiard" and then note it as a Billiard in the description towards the bottom of the listing. How is this pipe not considered a Canadian?

004-002-9052.jpg

j/B

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I thought an oval shaped shank with a saddle bit, with the shank being about 1-1/2 times as long as the bowl is high, was called a liverpool.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Saddle stem. Not a Canadian, not a Lovat. Because it sort of defies traditional categorization they went for a generic description.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Oval shank with a tapered stem = Canadian

Oval shank with a saddle stem = Lumberman

Round shank with a tapered stem = Liverpool

Round shank with a saddle stem = Lovat

gunslinger

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2014
Isn't it a Lumberman which is a Canadian with a saddle stem?
Edit: Sorry, looks like bigvan already answered the question.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Interesting. ThePipeGuys.com define the following: Canadian is actually both a pipe shape, and a family of pipe shapes. The Canadian family of shapes includes the Canadian, the Lovat, the Lumberman, and the Liverpool. The Canadian is also sometimes referred to as the Canadian Billiard, because it and its entire family are sub-styles of the classic Billiard shape. Maintaining the simple symmetry of the Billiard-style bowl, the Canadian sports a slender shank about twice the length of the bowl’s height, trimmed with a modest stem which accentuates the elegance of the pipe’s dimensions. What differentiates the Canadian from other pipes in the family is that the Canadian has an oval shank with an oval tapered stem

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I don't fret the details. If it has a long shank, I call it a Canadian.

I've also coined the term bulldesian for bulldogs and Rhodesians.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
hiplainsdrifter, I will concede that this pipe is far from the best looking sandblast pipe I have seen, but it is as good as some Comoy's and Charatan's sandblasts I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.