PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
well I have sentiment for all my pipes regardless... so, any broken pipe similar to this is not worth repairing? Just asking in case it happens again..
The pipe can be repaired, either by gluing the pieces together and putting a band around the outisde to keep it from coming apart, or at a more expert level, drilling out the shank, inserting a metal tube, and gluing the pieces together around the tube. The latter fix leaves no trace, but there are only a couple of restorers with the chops to make that fix.
On an inexpensive pipe the cost can be greater than the market value of the pipe. But if the pipe has sentimental value the cost may be worth it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd get an estimate and then decide. Removing the stem after a repair could be a little tense. It looks like it took a pretty good shot to split in half like that. Also, I'd look for a reasonable match Savinelli and price it for comparison.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I banded my own meerschaum that was cracked, before it broke all the way. It looks great, but it was a chore to do without the proper tools, and I had to order 3 different bands to find the exact band, and at that, I had to sand off the last but for a flush fit. f you love the pipe and like to tinker, it's not out of reach. I'd do it again for one I loved. If I didn't really love it, it's not worth the effort. In my case, the self-repair gave me a new level of ownership, and it's my all-time favorite pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Yup, the hose clamp is cheap, readily available and works most every time. Been there done that!

Sediment? Is that a spell check glitch?

The Red Green Show was a hilarious Canadian TV comedy. I am a proud, card carrying Possum Club member. Amazon probably has it available if you have a desire to watch. It'll be time well wasted.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I banded my own meerschaum that was cracked, before it broke all the way. It looks great, but it was a chore to do without the proper tools, and I had to order 3 different bands to find the exact band, and at that, I had to sand off the last but for a flush fit. f you love the pipe and like to tinker, it's not out of reach. I'd do it again for one I loved. If I didn't really love it, it's not worth the effort. In my case, the self-repair gave me a new level of ownership, and it's my all-time favorite pipe.
He said: "I'd do it again for one I loved". Since we all love you, Cigar Ash Queen, you should take him up on it!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
  • Love
Reactions: mau1

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Charles Lemon is the fellow at DadsPipes who did a shank repair for me. He didn't band it. He did an internal shank repair for my Peterson Poker. The pipe looks perfect now.

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
Hello

I have this Savinelli pipe which broke and I'm wondering if it could still be repaired or not?
Can someone give me an idea of how much it could cost me to get it repaired and if it's worth it to try to get it repaired? When I put it back together you can't tell it's broken but it sure is ?

Thank you
View attachment 59290View attachment 59291View attachment 59292View attachment 59293View attachment 59295
Yes it can be repaired and if I were to do it I would level the shank end coming off the bowl

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
Hello

I have this Savinelli pipe which broke and I'm wondering if it could still be repaired or not?
Can someone give me an idea of how much it could cost me to get it repaired and if it's worth it to try to get it repaired? When I put it back together you can't tell it's broken but it sure is ?

Thank you
View attachment 59290View attachment 59291View attachment 59292View attachment 59293View attachment 59295
I will try this again. Yes it can be repaired. I would level the shank coming off the bowl. Then I would turn a piece of brier wood to form a tenion to go in the shank and fit the bit tension on the other end. The new brier can then be stained. I have done many of these. It is more work than a silver band, but your break would require a really large one.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Glue then fishing line or leader filament over all of the break. Won't be elegant, but quite smokable.
You'll want spread the glue or lacquer over the thread. An old way to fix snapped fishing rods, and lash eyelets onto fishing rods. Actually quite durable. I've used this method myself with excellent results.

The English used copper wire wrapped around old SMLE rifles forestock to strengthen them for grenade launching...

Reactions: jpmcwjr

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Hello

Thank you
Nah, throw it away and write it off on your taxes as a business loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.