Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

White gas, as it used to be called, is HIGHLY volatile (the fumes spread and ignite easily). The fumes are also heavier than air so they pool just waiting for an ignition source unlike lighter fluid. Lighter fluid has Naptha to slow down the combustion.

You could use kerosene or Diesel if you could stand the odor and don't mind replacing your wicks more often, but white gas is not recommended.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
The pictures really help Mike, I remember us discussing this last year. With what I can dig up on Canadian 4K models the flat windscreen brace was a later production change. So I would put it between 1955 and 1958-9. The 4K started in production in 1951with a wire brace for the windscreens. Not sure when production started (‘58 or’59) on the next model which is the 4M. Great stove!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The pictures really help Mike, I remember us discussing this last year. With what I can dig up on Canadian 4K models the flat windscreen brace was a later production change. So I would put it between 1955 and 1958-9. The 4K started in production in 1951with a wire brace for the windscreens. Not sure when production started (‘58 or’59) on the next model which is the 4M. Great stove!

I sometimes forget that the most interesting people I meet are on this forum. I do remember mentioning the stove to you last year! Its great to get a ballpark date on it, thanks @trudger . Although the backyard camping with the kids didn't go as planned, the stove performed flawlessly making some grilled cheese sandwiches and roasting marshmallows!

As for using the fuel in the lighter, I decided not to risk it. I can wait until I find some Zippo fuel somewhere.

Reactions: trudger
Oct 7, 2016
This topic came up on another forum back in April. Seems that in some areas you can no longer get lighter fluid at places like CVS, Walgreens, Krogers, etc. There were several posters there who said that they had been using Coleman in their Zippos for years with no issues whatsoever. Some also said it didn’t evaporate as quickly.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I’ve used it without problems. I’m not a chemist but I am a lighter and Coleman collector. If you don’t like the results let it evaporate.
MSDS:
Coleman fuel is 100% light hydrotreated distillate.
Zippo fuel is 70% light hydrotreated distillate 30% hydrotreated light naphtha.
This is good to know; thank you! I learned something today.

Reactions: trudger

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
From what I gathered from my quick Google search, Zippo and Ronson fuel was the same.
Yup. Same stuff different bottle. Zippo and Ronson are now the same company. There are lots of products that are identical except for packaging and marketing. I'll bet the fuels were identical long before Zippo bought Ronson.

Reactions: JLD66 and trudger

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Try rocket fuel. You can buy some from NASA's website.
Snot rocket surgery.
You can use whatever floats your boat in your zippo if it burns and doesn't give a bad taste. They are dependable workhorses IMO. Years back, I worked in a place that had 90% isopropyl alcohol in 55 gallon drums. I used that in my zippo while I worked there. It burned really clean, so clean you had a hard time seeing the flame. Only other disadvantage was that, since it was 90%, the alcohol burnt off and left water. After 3-4 fills it did not work as well unless I left it open overnight to evaporate.

I tried gasoline just once. It burnt so dirty that you could see a little soot in the air, but it burnt fine.

flashedwards

Lurker
Aug 25, 2022
OK...now listen up children....as far as I know Ronson & Zippo are the same fuel. But more importantly....how many Zippos went overseas during W W ll ?.....millions? So where did the guys get the official Zippo lighter fluid?....they didn't. They used and burned whatever was available and flammable.....gasoline, AVGAS, diesel, gilly juice and even 100+ proof liquor. There weren't a lot of convenience stores close by.