PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
As much as everyone craps on filters, I just got some cheap estate briars that are filter pipes. So I bought some medico filters, and I'm actually a fan of them. I've been smoking a pipe now for a good 4 years and have it down pat, but up until now I never tried a filter. I find it slows down the smoke, cools it, plus you don't get any gurgle. I would totally recommend them especially for beginners to help with these problems until you've got it down pat.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I agree with Andrew. It always comes down to individuals, but burns are not something to take lightly. You need to think what you would do if you had suffered a bad burn on your body in other areas. This generally calls for protection and some type of medical attention ( washes or whatever is called for ). I have noted a bias about filters in this country but there are evidently more guys using them. I have been using a product by "Thieves" to brush my teeth and gums. I have lived with canker sores all my life in my mouth. They come from too much acid. Everything from too much citrus,stress, to x wives :0) This stuff will eliminate them in 24 hours. That is a miracle for me! They also make a mouth wash I have started using after I smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The rest from smoking was good. I don't know about the other remedies. I haven't tried them. Let your tobacco

dry out a little bit, like a day or two in an open bowl or packed in a pipe. Choose tobaccos that are fairly mild,

Lane's Q-1, or Peter Stokkebye's Nougat, Carter Hall. Don't smoke too fast. Just smoke a bowl, slowly, a day for

a while. Don't buy any tobacco in quantity until you see if it agrees with you. Good luck. It sounds like things

are better.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I burnt the heck out of my tongue 2 weeks ago. It hurt so bad! Some of my taste buds were swollen on my tongue, I had a canker sore on my gums and 3 more tiny ones on my tongue. I didn't even think about smoking for a week. After 8 days I had a cigar and then on the 9th day I finally went back to a pipe and it was still a little sensitive. Tongue burn sucks, and I would definitely rest your tongue until its healed.

dalby

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Since the original post, I've had a couple less severe occurrences, and now I am enjoying my pipes pain free!

All the flavors of the different blends are really coming alive as I learn to smoke slowly, and keep my tongue healthy. :D

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I can't tell you how much tobacco I have smoked in my attempt to find a bite free baccy. I have, for some time, taken full credit for the failures for all the noted reasons. Bingo! Milan's Butter Berry has got to be my worlds greatest! Did not even have to smoke it in a filtered pipe. Stays lit and tastes awesome. I smoked a brand new pipe ( didn't realize I had failed to put a filter in it) just loaded it ( not special care) to the brim. I had had several pipes of it and was in a hurry to smoke another. It smoked down to the ash with one or two tamps and 2 relights.Cant wait to run it through my entire collection.

I am on cloud 9 ;0))))))))) I have tried blends that were not bad for me. I made do with them. No more making do.

Wish I was the kind of person who could eat hot peppers too, but I am not. Guess variety is there for even though's of us with picky tongues. Added plus....... lady loves it!

Mar 1, 2014
Has anyone else tried drilling holes in their bits? Like drilling in a P-lip style hole as well as having a hole in the back, or potentially many more.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
It is important to allow one's mouth to get used to the experience. I note the OP states "I smoke however many bowls I like". If he is a new smoker, this might be a significant cause of the bite. A new smoker shouldn't really have the need for more than two bowls at night if he is smoking a satisfying tobacco. I feel that newer smokers tend to smoke milder, often aromatic blends in an understandable attempt to relieve tongue-bite, unaware this can dramatically increase the risk for a tired, burnt mouth. This is why I believe a new smoker should try something of medium strength without much flavouring. Its tobacco you want; why try vanilla?

I then note that the OP later advised he was smoking some robust blends. It is a definite possibility that he has an alkaline burn from the tobacco. If he loves the taste and puffs away like mad all night then this might be a problem.

The other day at my first pipe club meeting with a room full of newbies and just a couple of us graybeards, I noticed that guys who didn't grow up watching smokers, just have no concept of SLOW.
"puff puff puff, see, puff puff, I am going, puff puff, as slow, puff puff, as I can, puff puff."
I know someone is going to get their panties in a wad, because they will misunderstand me, but I advise newbies to strive for smoking like they are trying to hide the smoke from anyone who might see them. Slow, long draws, slow releases, trying not to make any visible smoke. Maybe once every third breath, then draw. DONT PUFF

I am not saying that this is the only or best way to smoke. I am just suggesting it as an exercise in slowing down. However, in growing up, I just never saw anyone but a rookie or a child blow out a cloud of smoke. I am sure that a porch full of men smoking pipes back in the day would have cracked a smile and a few jokes at seeing someone blowing big clouds, lol.
But, there is no right and wrong, just some with burnt tongues, lol.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Nah i like my smoke clouds lol But i got ya.
Also i would just keep smoking no point in stopping. Just about everything else you eat or drink will hurt you while bitten so why not just smoke too.

Aug 14, 2012
If you get tongue bite I would suggest stopping for a day. You might be provoking health problems. Ice cream helps. And cut down on the Virginias.

Status
Not open for further replies.