Can Anyone Tell Me What Style of Pipe This Is?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
I been poking around Ebay. They had a few pipes they called "tomato" or "squashed tomato". First time I hear of that shape. The pic I posted above hints of the apple shape, but the walls are very thick and it does have a squashed quality. In any case, it is one of my favorites - in contention for THE favorite.

Has anyone else heard of the tomato/squashed tomato shape?

Reactions: beefeater33

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Heard of it before and not a fan of that shape. So it sticks in my mind, though it seems like tricky shape to get right. Having heard those terms i have also seen no indication they are well defined terms. Like the way the canadian family is. Or in other words i think you can call it whatever one you like, i suggest tomacco like the things homer j simpson grew on his farm.

Reactions: Beowoulf

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
Been surfing around and found some stuff.
First a picture:
1669149695392.png

A bit of text:
The Tomato shaped pipe, often referred to as a Ball, is the most beefy pipe found in the Apple family. The Tomato, famous for its huge girth and bold size, is a favorite among artisan pipe carvers. With a large surface area, there is plenty of room to finish and design the Tomato pipe anyway the carver wants. This often results in many modifications of the classic shape guidelines. Sometimes, if the Tomato shape is compressed, the carver will decide to name it a Squashed Tomato.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Been surfing around and found some stuff.
First a picture:
View attachment 182817

A bit of text:
The Tomato shaped pipe, often referred to as a Ball, is the most beefy pipe found in the Apple family. The Tomato, famous for its huge girth and bold size, is a favorite among artisan pipe carvers. With a large surface area, there is plenty of room to finish and design the Tomato pipe anyway the carver wants. This often results in many modifications of the classic shape guidelines. Sometimes, if the Tomato shape is compressed, the carver will decide to name it a Squashed Tomato.
Jim smokes one every day
5A6B5D6D-12A3-45CF-992A-9F151A0B578F.jpeg

Reactions: ThermionicScott