Can anyone tell me about this ~100 year old pipe I have?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
2 Fresh Il Duca Pipes
3 Fresh Peter Heding Pipes
18 Fresh Ropp Pipes
60 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

red1

Lurker
Sep 1, 2017
Hello everyone,
A while back I inherited a pipe from my grandmother that had belonged to her father. From what I understand the pipe is over 100 years old. I had it slightly repaired, having a new mouth piece and something put on the end of the stem so that it could connect to the bowl (not sure what you call it) as the original was missing. I used some pipe cleaners to clean out the bowl and stem (they were both filthy). The bowl still smells HEAVILY of tobacco (I do quite like the smell though) even though it has not been smoked in ages. There is silver on both the rim of bowl (there is a hinge left over from what I assume was a cover) and where the bowl connects to the stem. The inside of the bowl looks to be fairly deteriorated. The pipe is around 42 cm in length
Could anyone tell me any more about this pipe? I have no idea what this style of pipe is called, the type of wood used, or if it could still be smoked without damaging it. Any and all comments are appreciated :)
Here are the pictures
(Link is to photobucket)

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Any type of maker's marks on the bowl of the pipe or the stem? Looks well used so I wouldn't be worried about damaging it; a little reaming of the bowl might be called for.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's fairly typical of mid-19th century meerschaum pipes. Does the silver have any hallmarks?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two or three full views of the pipe, maybe from the side and above, would help. Is there any stamping (words,numbers) or are there any logos? From what little I can see, I'd guess this is some sort of maybe German pipe. Replacing the stem may or may not have been the best thing; if it is more a historical piece than a smoking tool, the original stem is part of it. Save it if you have it. People will need a better view and any stamping on the briar or on the metal work. Don't hold out hope for great value here. It could be, but more than likely it is just an interesting old piece. It is not in good shape. You could have it professionally restored, but be sure you go to a pro for an agreed upon price. It's interesting but perhaps not valuable. I think it is more in the line of a family heirloom, and as such is a nice acquisition. There are pipe historians on Forums who might have solid info. I'm just an old pipe smoker who likes to play detective.

red1

Lurker
Sep 1, 2017
Hi all, thanks for the replies
I looked it over again very thoroughly and could see no stamping, marks, or any other kind of indications anywhere on the pipe. Either the marks that were on it have been worn off, or it never had any markings. Maybe the lid had the makers mark on it?
This pipe is definitely an heirloom to me, I have no intention of selling it.
Mainly I'm just interested more in the history of this style of pipe and if it could still be smoked today. I've added a few more photos of the inside of the bowl :)

red1

Lurker
Sep 1, 2017
Sorry, I had no idea
If you use Google Chrome you should consider getting adblock and adblock plus, I get no popups at all from the site.
Is there any way to post pictures directly on this site? I was going to do that, but I saw no option while making this post :/

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here ya go!
This is how to add photos to your post using the site's photo album:
Images tend to be smaller than hosting site's size, but can be full sized if you remove the pixel limitation, -600x360)— the numbers and the dash preceding, leaving no spaces, and ending in .jpg
1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK. (You can paste over the existing http://)
An example, of a thumbnail named "hms-penzance-1940" followed by -150x100.jpg is the name of the photo in my album, and the the -150x100 limits the size.

hms-penzance-1940-150x100.jpg

If I remove the numbers, it goes to whatever size at which it was uploaded, subject to web sized image limitations.
hms-penzance-1940.jpg

red1

Lurker
Sep 1, 2017
Thank you! That helps a lot, here are some of the photos
20170901_111022-600x337.jpg

20170901_110053-600x337.jpg

Inside of the bowl
20170901_110222-600x337.jpg

Where the stem meets the bowl
20170901_123923-600x337.jpg

red1

Lurker
Sep 1, 2017
hey you're right! I found this one after a quick google search and found this one which looks quite similar. Thank you :)
Large-Antique-Meerschaum-German-Kalmasch-Pipe-FREE-_1.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Did your grandmother's father come from Germany, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland, Prussia ... ?

Museum collections from those countries might be a place to start.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jared-
You might start your own thread, with photos, and ask rather than demand.
And e-mail is not happening for this type of request.

Status
Not open for further replies.