PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I camped out in the Colville National Forest last night, bushcraft style. There was a large supply of tamarack that the forest service had felled that that kept me warm despite the mid-high 20 degree F temps.
After a delicious dinner of steak and potatoes, I enjoyed a few pulls from my flask and a pipe of SWRA. Watching the campfire and listening to the coyotes and other nature sounds, it was one of those magical moments. Winter camping isn't easy, but when done right is very rewarding! I took my old Grabow grand duke, and a pouch of SWRA.
Anyone else like taking their pipe out camping? What blends do you take?

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Always take Tashkent along. I like a good strong English to accompany the campfire. When hunting I also bring a nice VA flake to have after I get something, a sort of calm, subtle conclusion to the hunt. If you're at high altitude (like here in Colorado) you can leave all your fancy lighters at home. Bring a BIC, they work all the time.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I camped out in the Colville National Forest last night, bushcraft style. There was a large supply of tamarack that the forest service had felled that that kept me warm despite the mid-high 20 degree F temps.
After a delicious dinner of steak and potatoes, I enjoyed a few pulls from my flask and a pipe of SWRA. Watching the campfire and listening to the coyotes and other nature sounds, it was one of those magical moments. Winter camping isn't easy, but when done right is very rewarding! I took my old Grabow grand duke, and a pouch of SWRA.
love smoking a pipe while camping. Haven't gotten to go camping in a long time. It's the one thing that makes me think maybe I should get a vehicle. There is just something that really hits the spot. It reminds you of how simple life is at base. It especially great when you are not just camping but hiking too. Also no one can complain about the smoke when there is a camp fire a few feet away :).

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
My girlfriend chuckles at me whenever we go camping, fishing, hiking or any kind of outdoor thing because I have to sit and consider my tobacco choice.

For my tastes, strong, full bodied blends are the way to go when camping and such. Some big flavors just seem to accentuate the big endless natural world around you. English blends by a campfire with some whiskey is a combination made for kings, and some of my most memorable smokes were had while camping. Cowboy coffee and Chelsea Morning while the mist rises off the Allegheny River, so thick you can barely see the canoe you dragged on shore the night before? Yep, I remember that one fondly.

I ran a camp in the UP for two summers, and still get to go up there to stay in the off season. Was there for Halloween and had some Bob’s chocolate, paired with a hot chocolate (with whiskey) next to the wood stove on a 20 degree night in a cabin. I’ll remember that smoke for a while. We heard wolves that night.

While fishing in my boat, or canoeing or wading a stream, I usually bring a baggie each of OJK, Billy Budd and Yorktown. I rotate. I can confirm that they taste just fine with a bit of fish slime.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Sounds great except for the temperature. I'd have to restrict my camping to much warmer weather unless it was not by choice.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
Jacob, I do believe you've figured out what is important in life, good on ya!

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I’ve spent a decent amount of time in the Bush... Closest to winter camping was sleeping in an uninsulated trailer at -30 Celsius. I did have a couple plug in space heaters, which brought the temp up to -2 C, or 28F, something like that. You still sleep in long Johns, winter gear, ect. A little chilly, but doable. I’ve mostly smoked cigars camping, haven’t done as much lately, but any pipe blend you like would be good, it’s all good in the Bush:) I’ve been meaning to try SWR aro, good reminder, on my next order!

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
That sounds amazing.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
That sounds amazing.
It was a good camp out! I'm looking forward to the next one soon. I prefer that it doesn't go below freezing...but I won't let that alone stop me! There is so much easily harvested dead standing and forest service felled wood up there that an hour or so of hard work will get you all the wood you need, no matter how cold it gets. Hard to beat a good campfire at the end of the day. Natures television!