PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I was obsessed with the pipe from the beginning,and the longer I stayed with it, the bigger the obsession became, so much so that in the first year I determined to become an expert, and I set out to learn all I could, chiefly by haunting a forum.

Nicotine didn't became a factor until the second or third year when I ordered Dark Birdseye, Dark Flake and Kendal KY from a small business in Atlanta. Falling in loved with power blends didn't occur, but it did happen, and once it did, strong nicotine became a feature of most of what I smoked.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
My late father would reminisce of exchanging baccy with Russian soldiers at the partition of Germany following the end of the Second World War.
Do you know anything about the tobacco he received from the Russians? I have read that green rustica--makkhorka--was the standard smoke of the red army. It's always been an interesting subject to me.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I read once that pipe smoking was a "thinking man's hobby." Most of the answers given in this Forum have always been thought out carefully and tried to be helpful to others. I think pipe smoking gives us the opportunity to relax and contemplate. it gives us a moment to escape from the troubles of daily life and just enjoy a pleasant solace. It may or may not be a hobby depending on how we look at it, but it is a part of the day that we would truly miss if we didn't have it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Enjoy the flavor and the side stream and the relaxation. Slows me down. Nicotine isn’t a factor. I’m not an addictive personality.
I'm always incredulous when someone using the 2nd most addictive substance on the planet exempts themselves with this or some other statement, "I'm not an addictive personality." You could be exactly correct in this. After all you would know the truth about yourself far better than I, but I would posit that someone who chooses to use an addictive substance has a greater chance of being an addict than some other common mortal, or an addiction seeks addicts. And you're telling me that your body's reaction is not compensating for then fact that nicotine is being absorbed? It seeks to metabolize it and has to bend physiologically to do so. That's the first part of addiction ; the second is when it has not had its nicotine fix and one feels he must smoke.

You could be right about yourself, but when someone uses an addictive substance, I have my doubts.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Much as I resent being labeled a hobbyist, (Why are labels soooo damned necessary for some.), there are members here who, rightly so, consider some aspects of the tobacco pipe a hobby. Collectors of pipes, labels, tobacco paraphernalia, are into the hobby. Some may even smoke a bowl now and then. There is also a percentage, most only stay a short time, who are starting smoking, smoke a bit and then move onto something else. I smoke because it satisfies a physical need, I enjoy it and can afford it. I do resent being lumped in with the hobbyists. Being so implies I'm not deadly serious about my pipes and such. Tobacco hobbyist is certainly an acceptable recreation. The appellation isn't bad in and of itself but, it denigrates my addiction, financial outlay, etc. puffy

I read once that pipe smoking was a "thinking man's hobby."
Witnessing some of the replies of some members now and past, some think, others only react and many primarily lurk. Blanket assignments of personality aspects are usually only made by smokers wanting to be seen as having such noble traits. Too many despots, poseurs and such for statements like what you read to have any real validity. Not to imply such do not think, they do, just not in the manner your author implies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm not sure what it means to be a "hobbyist" with pipes and tobaccos. I enjoy pipes and tobaccos for a variety of reasons, none of which include nicotine, which I avoid to the extent that I can. I enjoy the variety of flavors that pipe tobaccos offer, and have spent a bit of time experimenting with them to maximize the flavors I get. The fiddling around, cleaning, prepping, etc I enjoy.

The history of pipes and of pipe making, particularly with the British product is fascinating. The proportions and design of late 19th and early 20th century pipes I find particularly pleasing. Perhaps the hobby part pertains to the bit of sleuthing I do to piece together the story of Barling pipes, as well as the other arcana that come my way.

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I use tobacco as a drug or medicine. I always use the pipe because I find pipes beautiful and perfect for the purpose: they encourage a ritual and meditation that should accompany this medicine. Although I love old movies where stars like Bette Davis and Paul Henreid smoke cigarettes so beautifully in glorious black and white, I do not like much the reality of cigarettes, and I have never appreciated cigars. So I smoke a pipe, and only a pipe.

I grew up around tobacco chewers, especially my dad. When I was very young he had me nibble a plug which I believe was called "Bull of the Woods," I have never chewed since.

I smoke the pipe for alertness, heightened concentration, courage, a better attitude, and, though I am not Native American, an improved spirit in the deepest sense of the word I am capable of giving it. For this reason, I usually smoke on and off through the morning when I am working. I smoke the pipe also to relax in the evening after the day is over, but it is far more important to me in the morning. I ride a motorcycle for transportation and sometimes when I am taking an especially long ride to see family or friends and I begin to feel fuzzy or unfocused I will smoke the pipe while checking the tires and chain. After that I can go on feeling sharp and alert.

I almost never smoke socially, and on those rare occasions when i do I find it awkward. I try never to smoke out of nervous habit or boredom, though sometimes I am guilty of this. And although I love the flavor and scent of a simple tobacco, I never smoke for flavor alone. I went though a years long faze when I was trying all sorts of different blends. No more.

When I am not working or dealing with other stressful or demanding things, I find I do not need to smoke and I am fine without the pipe.

Because of all of this, I like strong, straightforward tobaccos--especially straight burley. Low nicotine tobaccos frustrate me and sometimes give me a headache. Sweet tobaccos irritate my mouth. Heavily smoke tobaccos like latakia seem to "get in the way." Right now I smoke C&D dark burley and little else, and I am very pleased with it.

I have half a dozen cob pipes of various sizes and shapes. I have that many just to rotate. I will eventually try a briar, but I can't see myself ever collecting pipes, and any pipe I have must be a work horse that will take a lot of abuse.

So no, pipe smoking is not a hobby for me.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
With me it has never been about nicotine. In fact, I am a total lightweight in that regard. I like the ritual, the pipes, the flavors of tobacco. With nic heavy blends, I sometimes only smoke 1/4 of a bowl on a full stomach to enjoy the flavors without getting sick.

I don't get too caught up in the label, so I would be a hobbyist. With 250+ pipes and a 300lb celler I'm a really, really, (really really really) enthusiastic hobbyist. lol

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I'm always incredulous when someone using the 2nd most addictive substance on the planet exempts themselves with this or some other statement, "I'm not an addictive personality." You could be exactly correct in this. After all you would know the truth about yourself far better than I, but I would posit that someone who chooses to use an addictive substance has a greater chance of being an addict than some other common mortal, or an addiction seeks addicts. And you're telling me that your body's reaction is not compensating for then fact that nicotine is being absorbed? It seeks to metabolize it and has to bend physiologically to do so. That's the first part of addiction ; the second is when it has not had its nicotine fix and one feels he must smoke.

You could be right about yourself, but when someone uses an addictive substance, I have my doubts.
There are those that feel they must smoke and those of us that want to smoke. I must breathe. I want to take a nap. The former is an inherent need. The latter is pleasure. So sure, I believe non-addictive personalities are unaffected by the 2nd most addictive substance on the planet.

brownbilliard

Might Stick Around
Feb 27, 2012
I've had a fascination with tobacco and pipe smoking since I was a young child. I'm sure exposure to pop culture references (Popeye, Sherlock Holmes, Albert Einstein, etc) had a lot to do with it. I feel lucky to say I have never been addicted to nicotine. Around age 13 I had a horrible first time experience with tobacco that kept me away until I was in my 20's.

Later in life while on vacation in Mexico I came across a cigar stand selling authentic Cohiba's. I had been told several times that if I ever came across a real Cuban cigar I should buy one so I did. Later that night after 2 or 3 glasses of good tequila, I light that thing up and WHAM! the entire olfactory sensation between the amazing smell, taste and nicotine hit almost knocked me off my chair. That was my aha moment.

While living in Boston around 2010, I was on a weekend afternoon stroll when I came across L.J. Peretti Co. Anyone who's been in this shop can attest that this place is like the Willy Wonka factory of pipe tobacco. Stepping into that shop is like stepping into a time capsule. I walked out of the store with several of their house blends that proceeded to change my life forever. Since then I have gone deep down the rabbit hole - researching and smoking as many different blends as I can.

I'm a big fan of good food, coffee, whisky, beer, etc. and for me the sensation of smoking good tobacco is up there with all of these luxuries. The complex and nuanced tastes/smells of real high end tobacco cannot be described accurately to the uninitiated smoker. How do you explain the divine sensation of smoking a bowl of Solani 656, Orlik GS or Escudo Navy De Luxe to someone who hasn't tried them? Words like nutty, grassy and tangy will never do them justice. I definitely enjoy the nicotine buzz too, I just don't feel like I have to have it regularly to get by.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA

Discipline is a muscle; like any other it needs exercise.

For the sake of argument…

SaltedPlug,
What is an addictive substance? — Food? I eat one meal per day. Alcohol? I never drink to impairment. Sex? Ok. You got me.

In each of the examples given, we find countless examples of addicted human beings… yes or no?

Addictive Personalities form pleasurable habits. No one touches a hot iron twice. -It isn’t pleasurable.

I’m a former US Army Drill Sergeant. No one controls me… but me.