Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I prefer to use d&r blends as mixers, mostly with each other.
My base is some ratio of two timer and 3 sails or windsail and I season with ramback or ramback balkan or picayune.
I may have missed out on all the stock up availability. oh well.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It was you and a few others who turned me on to D&R Picayune. It has been my favorite tobacco. I haven't tried the AB. I need to get on that.

Anyone like Three Sails? I'm thinking this might be one on the to list to stock up on.
You'd better hurry on the AB. It won't be around long. Btw, it was Mark Ryan's favorite of the three Rimboches.

I love Three Sails. Burns easy being a shag cut, and has a very nice citrus flavor. I've got many pounds of it here. Also, you should try Windsail, which is a very good straight Virginia.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Do you guys know if the 1lb bags come sealed? It would be great if I could keep them in there for a bit while I work out more space.
Ive forgotten the forum members name but he has success just cellaring the bags in a chilly bin. D&R blends (from my experience) come at low case, so there is no way they are gonna dry out or at risk of mold

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
It was you and a few others who turned me on to D&R Picayune. It has been my favorite tobacco. I haven't tried the AB. I need to get on that.

Anyone like Three Sails? I'm thinking this might be one on the to list to stock up on.

Love 3 sails. It's a gold Virginia shag that is a bit similar to some of the GH Kendal Shags, nothing mind blowing but still worth trying flavorful shag cut blend.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Are Windsail and Three sails both straight VA?
Yes. Here's my Windsail review:
A straight uncomplicated flue cured Virginia that is a little grassy and hay-like, and fairly tart and tangy citrusy with some darting dark fruit, wood and earth notes. It also has a very minute spice and honey hit. The nic-hit is a step past the center of mild to medium. The strength and taste are a step short of the medium mark. Ribbon cut for very easy, slightly fast burning, it requires few relights. Won't bite or get harsh, leaves no moisture in the bowl and will burn to ash with little trouble. Has a few very small rough edges. Makes tons of smoke. It may be a one dimensional smoke, but it has a very consistent flavor to the finish. It’s an all day no nonsense blend, and not every pipe tobacco product has to be complex to enjoy. Would make a good mixer. Has a lightly lingering, pleasant after taste, and room note. I give it three and a half stars out of four.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Penhooker is a pretty good VA to me

Vengeur Silver and Regular are good too for VaBur
I agree. I have pounds of all of that as well. Here's my review of Penhooker:
The flue-cured style gold leaf Virginias are half Canadian. They offer some grass, a touch of tangy darker fruit, earth and wood, and a lot of tart and tangy citrus. I’m not sure what the casing is, but it’s sweet and seems to have a small amount of sugar and perhaps fruit. It's very mildly applied. The strength, nic-hit, and taste just passes the center of mild to medium. Pack it tight if dry for best effect. Not a complex blend by any means, but it’s a ribbon cut that burns a tad fast, cool and clean with a very consistent, gentle flavor to the finish. Virtually leaves no moisture in the bowl, won’t bite, and has no dull or harsh spots. Barely requires any relights even when you puff at a normal pace, which I recommend. Has a very pleasant semi-sweet, very light woody after taste. The room note isn’t pungent. Makes lots of smoke. Would make a good mixer, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.