PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am quite dependent on my calendar, an actual spiral bound monthly calendar with daily squares big enough to pen in as many as six or eight events or tasks written small. Others like day books, with a page for each day, but these don't give me a big enough picture of a week or month. Others go for weekly calendars. Some people like to do this on a device, which is the contemporary with-it way to go. I grew up without devices (computers, cell phones, etc.). So I have little affinity for that method, though I am aware of how ingrained in the thought process of younger people these chip circuits are. What are your calendar habits, if any, or do you keep it all in your head? In addition to my desk calendar that is my central scheduling grid, we have five calendars posted in heavily traffic places -- the bedroom door, hall, kitchen walls (2) and dining room door. Is your 2018 calendar at the ready? And what's your format?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I now have three P&C calendars... :puffy:
jay-roger.jpg

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I use a small notebook and pen. I have several around and tear pages out as needed for pocket reference.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I like things in paper form as much as possible. I always have a wall calendar, and always purchase real books. I would never be able to get used to “e-books”...just can’t stand the thought.
I read somewhere that universities are transitioning to digital-only libraries. Censorship and revisionism will run rampant when the day comes that all printed material is only in digital form...and future generations will never know the difference.
I love my wall calendars: Demotivator Wall Calendar.
Those are great. I particularly liked:
TEAMWORK
A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I use my Outlook calendar to block out times and meetings/events and I have a huge kanban board my team uses. However I personally use-
(2017's version) This as last years planner/calendar. https://www.1101.com/store/techo/en/2018/pc/detail_cover/cb18_jan.html
Next year I'll try using https://www.goaldrvnplanner.com/planners/undated-weekly-goal-setting-planner/ I've got some specific goals I need to hit and am going to try a processed approach.
I HAVE to write it down and have it close to me...I don't interface with electronics well. I have zero retention of information from them. My graph paper pad is still my best tool.
I consider myself "aware" of the paperless electronic systems and my team uses them a daily, but I need that brain-to-hand relationship to be effective.
Even my kids 14, 10, 7, keep paper based agendas and calendars. My wife is the only one of use who uses her phone for everything.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have always missed the card catalogue at libraries. The computerized catalogues have robbed the kids and other users of the joy of discovery. I can remember many times, thumbing through the cards, looking for a specific tome and ... there it was! I'd found something, something off the wall, or spontaneously intriguing. Sure it slowed my research but, it widened my mind.
Computers do have their negatives as well as positives. If I don't have my annual Norman Rockwell calendar on fridge, the kitchen is incomplete.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, the card catalogs in libraries! The memory makes my heart sing. My all-encompassing calendar sits open to the month, on my desk. I use the pages in the back for a scrapbook -- movie ticket stubs, notes from wife and friends, photos, obits -- it's an archive. More comprehensive every year. I do admire those who can tap into the tech world and master their devices for their own uses. Despite arduous efforts over years, the chip technology has never been my home. I'm a pen-and-ink guy, a quill and parchment guy. Alas.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Outlook on the desktop, linked to to iPhone. If I can't confirm shoot dates and times with clients, whenever, wherever and however they contact me, then I may as well not bother. There is nothing romantic about time management.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some do all their scheduling on lists they then throw away or delete on their device. I need the reinforcement of checking things off as feedback on my completing the task. I want some activities to be spontaneous and optional on the calendar, so as not to slave-drive myself. I want to let life happen as well as execute a plan. I doubt much of this is rational. You have to negotiate it with yourself. I don't want it obsessive/compulsive, but I don't want to drift either. If you live to be 110, time is short.
The cats like to jump up on my calendar and rumple the pages, just to show off that they don't have to use calendars. The little folds and waves they add are little notes they leave me.

Status
Not open for further replies.