PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
Used to have a Pioneer Calabash once. Loved its look, didn't like how much empty space was inside it, the huge volume of air plainly duluted and stripped of flavour even the strongest smoke.
Sold it and bought a fancy Peterson.

I miss my Pioneer sometime, although only as a room decoration, not as a pipe for smoking.

Reactions: warren99

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Jun 9, 2018
England
Nice collection! I didn't know Ian messed with gourds, though I'm not surprised.
When did you acquire the Northern?
Thanks mate. I bought it about 6 years ago from The Pipe Shop in Edinburgh. An American store (can't remember the name) had a couple for sale a while back but that's the only other time I've seen a Northern Briars gourd calabash for sale.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Calabash?

Did someone say calabash?

Everybody needs one. Even if you don't think so, you actually do.

Strong recommendation: Turn a brair bowl insert to replace the chonky meer/stone one. MUCH lighter and morer comfortabler. (15 grams less at the end of a 6" lever held between your teeth is like night and day)

Also, smoke it regularly for 49 years so the color changes from pale-beer-gold to deep-pumpkin-amber. Muy muchacho eye candy. :)

Say hello to Gordo:

Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 7.44.20 PM.png

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Thanks mate. I bought it about 6 years ago from The Pipe Shop in Edinburgh. An American store (can't remember the name) had a couple for sale a while back but that's the only other time I've seen a Northern Briars gourd calabash for sale.
I'm on his books for a pipe in a few weeks. I might ask him if he plans on doing more of these.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
I'm on his books for a pipe in a few weeks. I might ask him if he plans on doing more of these.
What pipe are you getting?
As far as Ian making gourd meerschaum pipes, I was a bit surprised. As far as I know they don't export meerschaum outside Turkey which is why you don't see very many carvers outside that country making meerschaum pipes.
I also remember reading that the gourds were becoming harder to source. I read that Strambach stopped making their calabashes for that very reason.

I also own a sea urchin made by Ian. I love his work.
northern briars-1200x630w.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
What pipe are you getting?
As far as Ian making gourd meerschaum pipes, I was a bit surprised. As far as I know they don't export meerschaum outside Turkey which is why you don't see very many carvers outside that country making meerschaum pipes.
I also remember reading that the gourds were becoming harder to source. I read that Strambach stopped making their calabashes for that very reason.

I also own a sea urchin made by Ian. I love his work.
View attachment 232873
Doing a silver army mount Bruyere Premier Prince, group 2ish.

He made a Group 1 Panel in Regal finish for me a handful of years ago. I was impressed by his ability and willingness to make me a truly petite pipe - it's right on about 18 grams.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Used to have a Pioneer Calabash once. Loved its look, didn't like how much empty space was inside it, the huge volume of air plainly duluted and stripped of flavour even the strongest smoke.
Sold it and bought a fancy Peterson.

I miss my Pioneer sometime, although only as a room decoration, not as a pipe for smoking.
I have a Pioneer gourd Calabash as well. I only smoked it once. I bought a special stand for it and display it as a room decoration in my home office.

Reactions: cersono

Souk

Lurker
Aug 14, 2023
Ontario, Canada
I just picked up a Calabash on the weekend, just cleaning it up now. Little more work than I anticipated but it's coming along. Don't know too much about them, that's why I'm lurking on this forum now. Stamping on the silver is the only hint of what I have, England 1912. Anybody got some advice on cleaning and caring for it? I seem to have come across many different opinions on how they care for it.... Any way of identifying or get more history on it? Any advice from the experts would be appreciated!2023-08-26 15.19.45.jpg

Last edited:

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I was eyeing a little Brebbia calabash on Ebay that I let slip through my fingers; sort of wishing to acquire one now.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
K&W is the mark. It’s from 1902 or something. It was used as a stage prop by a local theatre company. I doubt I’ll let her go, but I am growing gourds in the hope of making more that size

It’s not easy to grow them for pipes, I’ve read that they put some compression to the fruit to get the right angle while the gourd is building up.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Yes, they're grown in a sort of compression block to create the proper curve. One thing that makes meer 'bashes heavier is that the vast majority of '50s-and-newer ones (Pioneer, etc.) have pressed meer bowls, which are heavier, often significantly so.

Here are mine. The two big-bowl Pioneers need new bowls (both have a big chip shown) and one a new stem. The larger, I bought from the Main Street Tobacco Shop in Disneyland when I was ten years old. The thinner third has a non-removable, inset meer cup. The big one is probably Strambach or Bauer from the 1950s; the Bakelite stem is stamped "AUSTRA," and the same is stamped in purple ink on the top (cut) surface of the gourd.

The cased one was purchased from Ben Rapaport. I've seen few others with a lathe-turned bowl. Amber stem is intact, ferrule is (I think) ivory with a few small chips. It's been smoked enough to turn the gourd a beautiful cherry red-brown.

The small antique is the one (of the three which need repairs) I'm likely to get fixed, but it'll be a while before I have the funds for a stem. It came with black vulcanite that was damaged. The stem in it is from an older MM "Freehand, From after the cooler cob-shank era. I prefer lucite in general, and I think this needs that amber-approximating tortoiseshell... not to mention a taper, not a saddle. The shank band is nickel-plated brass with phony hallmarks.

b9PhKwJ.jpg

Reactions: UB 40