PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohiba007

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2018
Orlando FL
Anyone have a pipe purchased from calabash pipe world before? I’m looking to add one and not sure what to look for.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you may mean the gourd Calabash, but I really like the shape in briar, and have asked for one for Christmas. The gourd pipes are impressive, but a bit large and maybe dramatic for my style of smoking. BC makes a nice briar version. The one I requested was a Peterson B10 on a good discount from PC.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've owned one for many, many years, meer bowl and all. It's a grand smoke but, I smoke it rarely due to size and shape. It's my one pipe that can't be ignored when smoking it. One doesn't "clench and forget" a true calabash.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The gourd pipes are quite beautiful, but bulky to haul around. They'd be nice for smoking at pipe shows, shops, and clubs, but a bit grand. People might start looking for your butler. I like the shape. That's why I like the briar (or Meer) versions.

greenmtnsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2018
I bought the B10 too. I also got 3 more Petes with it. That price was too good to pass up. They just came in the mail yesterday so I plan to start testing them out today.

Dec 24, 2012
I love the calabash shape but not into the gourd thing that much. I had Michael Parks make me a calabash shape out of briar and hits all the buttons for me. If you are thinking about a briar calabash, I put the link to mine below.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/michael-parks-briar-calabash

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
I have two gourd calabashes, for aesthetic or collector purpose only.

They really look nice sitting in a dark bookshelf, plus they sort of epitomize pipe smoking.
Been looking for a Strambach calabash because I like them the most, but they seem to be sold out everywhere.

Mailed the company and asked them about it but no answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.