PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Just cracked a tin of HU dockworker. Was expecting individual flakes, got a solid hard block of tobacco - I guess that’s a cake? Or a plug? I’ve dealt with crumble cakes but not something like this. Just slice with a sharp knife across the grain and smoke as flakes or rub out. Anything more complicated than that?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Just cracked a tin of HU dockworker. Was expecting individual flakes, got a solid hard block of tobacco - I guess that’s a cake? Or a plug? I’ve dealt with crumble cakes but not something like this. Just slice with a sharp knife across the grain and smoke as flakes or rub out. Anything more complicated than that?
probably thick flakes stuck together.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
probably thick flakes stuck together.
Give that pipe guru a prize. Had a chance to look more closely and it was a stack of flakes tightly pressed together. I now have a jar of broken flake.

Attachments

• 1C3CF0D9-9EEB-4818-945F-0AF37968B971.jpeg
    1C3CF0D9-9EEB-4818-945F-0AF37968B971.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 36FA0112-186D-4C6C-B0C7-1A0DBA1CB14C.jpeg
    36FA0112-186D-4C6C-B0C7-1A0DBA1CB14C.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 38

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky always comes the same way.. it's like three small plugs in the tin.
I often do the same and break up a whole one to smoke at a time.
Briar fox, I take the whole pound brick, and break it up before jarring. If I have an extra jar, I'll keep a couple cubes of cake in it, just for looks and aging.

Reactions: BROBS
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Unfortunately, I think more "flakes" than not come that way. At least, too many do. The older the tin, the more they're stuck together. Pull some of, stuff it in your pipe and apply fire. Dockworker is good stuff.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
We don't really get any cake in the UK. It's all plug this and plug that, but no cake. America on the other hand seems to be the 180° opposite. I think it's good to have both options, then you can have your cake and eat it, SORRY, smoke it.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
We don't really get any cake in the UK. It's all plug this and plug that, but no cake. America on the other hand seems to be the 180° opposite. I think it's good to have both options, then you can have your cake and eat it, SORRY, smoke it.

The cakes I've seen just seem like loose plugs to me. I just rub everything out, so the cake vs. plug vs. flake vs. ribbon cut etc. has never been much of an issue to me. I will say that I've thought that plugs are really cool as a historical curiosity, just because people used to carry around plugs and slice of a piece of baccy as desired to smoke or chew.

This all reminds me that I need to try some Salty Dogs.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The cakes I've seen just seem like loose plugs to me. I just rub everything out, so the cake vs. plug vs. flake vs. ribbon cut etc. has never been much of an issue to me. I will say that I've thought that plugs are really cool as a historical curiosity, just because people used to carry around plugs and slice of a piece of baccy as desired to smoke or chew.

This all reminds me that I need to try some Salty Dogs.

Yes, I like the history of plugs, twists etc. The miners with the twist and sailors with their plugs soaked in rum. I like preparing it as well, there's something satisfying about cutting a nice block of plug and rubbing it out or whatever.
You definitely need to try Salty Dogs. That's a lovely vaper and a proper rock hard plug.