PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
Don't over think it. You have done research, seem unlikely to do something terribly stupid, and are prepared to change up your style if need be, so at this point it boils down to not letting your brain get in the way of enjoying yourself.
FWIW, I am of the opinion that it is called "breaking in a pipe" for a reason. Like a car, good boots, a great chair, or a knife, gentle and cogent use will lead you to familiarity, while wearing the object down to your style, over TIME. It is a journey, not necessarily a destination.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I have a Mr. Brog that also took a long time to build cake in. I just kept doing like rothnh said, smoking full bowls, being careful to smoke slowly, and the cake did come around on its own.
I do however also prefer the cake to be very thin, and so far have not needed to remove any from this pipe.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Cake is a byproduct of combustion,takes a lot of smokeing it is not a fast thing nor anything you should concentrate on, enjoy the pipe it will get there some people have ther home remedys for it, if it pleases you it's your pipe IMHO. The Old cajun

Dec 24, 2012
Just smoke the pipe. Full bowls, smoke it all rim to heel, none of this 1/3, 2/3 stuff. And don't worry at all about cake. Use your pipe tool (or a dull pipe knife) to clean out the ash and bits of tobacco thoroughly after every smoke. I personally follow that up with "reaming" the bowl interior with a paper towel, do the pipe cleaners thing, and put it back in the rack. Most "experts" believe a proper cake is a thickness between a dime and a nickel. My method, as I delineated here, keeps my briars' cake within a thin dime's thickness; I can't remember the last time I used a pipe reamer for cake -- many years ago for certain.
My approach is 100% the same as what Roth describes above. None of this honey crap. The only thing I would add is that my first few bowls are almost always a burly blend - I prefer Solani ABF for that.

jogrefoln

Lurker
Mar 20, 2013
Knight Island, AK
Thanks for all the advice Gentlemen. I have a tendency to over indulge in the theory before the practice which sometimes jams up the pleasure of the experience with worry. The anti-thesis of smoking a pipe to begin with. lol I quickly settle into the simplest exercise I can though in short order once I get going. With this good advice I am already more relaxed. I appreciate the feedback. - JO

Status
Not open for further replies.