PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Ok I have a Mr.Brog pipe that seems to not build up cake. And ive been told the Peterson I am breaking in has issues with building cake any advice ive been told everything from the barbaric puting a hot poker in the pipe to wiping the inside with mapel surup.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
What is the tobacco you are smoking while breaking in? I think burley based tobaccos and medium flavour tobacco do well while breaking in. Also, how did you pack your bowel? full packing or half bowel?

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I own several Petersons and had similar issues. Apparently, the pre-carbonization treatment in the chamber, for all its efforts to protect the bowl while you build up cake, hinders the production of that cake. Some suggest taking some sandpaper and removing the pre-carbonization. I couldn't bring myself to take sandpaper to brand new pipes on which I'd just spent good money.
The way I solved the problem was a half/half mixture of honey and water. Smear it around the bowl with your finger or a Q-tip, then pack as usual. Do this once every three or four bowls and you'll see an accelerated cake buildup.
You can also use pure honey, it's just messier.
Don't worry about the honey going rancid. Honey doesn't go bad. They just found a fossilized piece of amber with 2 million year old honey and it was still fresh. :lol:

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
My pipes have always seemed to build cake by them selves.Years ago though I bought pipes from a smoke shop outside Detroit.The fellow who ran the place believed that rubbing honey inside the bowl of a new pipe helped build cake.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@cajunguy

I never tried honey treatment, have to give it a try. Sanding bowel internally will damage the coating and allow for cracks as moist absorption wont be homogeneous.
@jaysin

english blends wont help you build cake rapidly on precarbid bowels, I had the same problem with Peterson's Spigot before, but i came over it using falvoured tobacco, use blends that has high content of sugars and honey, I did it by CB Light. Also try not to rest your pipe more than 3 hours for first 10 bowels, this will ensure pipe has more adhesives on the bowel internal wall to catch all carbon tiny particles. Start by packing 1/3 of the bowel then proceed to 1/2, ending by full bowel. This is the way I did for the precarbid spigot. I hope it will help you.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I've always found it best to smoke a good burley in a new pipe to build up a nice cake. Carter Hall will get you going easily.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
@nsfisher When I first start smoking a pipe i was that way when i got carbon build up i would scrape it out and I never messed up a pipe. But why chance it.

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
I've used the honey method, and it builds cake quickly and easily. I figure the carbon as sugar gets hots quickly, thus leaving a thin layer of cake. Doesn't seem to cake up after that point...

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I dont bother too much with cakes, I have also always been told the pete's are made from very dense hard briar that builds a very glassy cake that is ideal.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
English blends are about the worst to smoke if your goal is building cake, regardless of pre carbon, honey, etc.

jogrefoln

Lurker
Mar 20, 2013
Knight Island, AK
It seems after reading this thread I am still uncertain as which path to follow. I heard about the honey trick before and it seems many are in approval and have had good results. As a new guy I thought cake was "mandatory"; some of you however introduced the idea that not everyone even likes a cake.
Whew; what to do! I would like my first smoke to be out of my 69 Dunhill. It has been cleaned, polished etc. and has zero cake. I have purchased Father Dempsey, "a smooth and full bodied Latakia based blend". This is what I had planned on smoking first. It is reportedly influenced by a Dunhill blend so I figure it would be a good place to start.
Having no idea why; I like hanymamdouh's suggestion of starting with 1/3 - 1/2 - full and smoking several bowls after waiting only a few hours in between for the first ten.

I could really go with any of these suggestions including just loading up and start puffing.
Any specific suggestions knowing my pipe and tobacco choice based on education and experience? I sure would appreciate it. - JOgrefoln

Status
Not open for further replies.