PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeude28

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2016
I have a problem building a cake. I have tried just smoking full bowls, quarter bowls and half bowls, but not really getting a cake. Any ideas as to how to really get one formed?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
How smooth is the inside of the bowl? The smoother it is, the less cake will want to stick, which is why bowl coatings act as a "primer" for cake. If the bowl interior is super slick, rough it up a bit with sandpaper. And I will second the "smoke more" suggestion.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Some smokers swear by the cake building properties of burley blends or OTC's like Carter Hall. Be patient. Over time, a cake will build. Jut be sure that you're building a hard thin carbon layer, and not a soft thick crumbly one.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes you need to smoke more often and worry less. If you smoke it, cake will come. Stop TRYING to get cake, because when you get it, it will be hard to stop it.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Pssst...you don't need cake in your pipes, it really is quite unnecessary. However, don't tell anyone I told you, as the cake mafia will likely come after me!

May 4, 2015
Pssst...you don't need cake in your pipes, it really is quite unnecessary. However, don't tell anyone I told you, as the cake mafia will likely come after me!
BURN HIM!
I don't build cake, either.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Rather like the teenager wishing his whiskers would hurry up and grow only to find when they do you have to deal with them on a regular basis :roll:
Worry not chum, your cake will duly arrive, then you will be able to start a thread about how to remove said cake.
Regards,
Jay.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Have you noticed... Everyone is saying cake is something you don't need to think about. Don't overthink it. Just practice smoking it. :wink:

spanishkarl

Lurker
Aug 24, 2015
When finished smoking, loosen all the ash/dottle and shake it around somewhat and then don't clean the bowl too carefully

paddypiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
The questions I'm surprised no one has asked are:

How many bowls have you smoked in the pipe? Only a few isn't really going to build cake.

How are you cleaning the pipe after you smoke it? If you're giving it a vigorous wipe down inside the bowl you're just removing whatever is starting to form.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
Paddypiper, that is what I just realized today. I have been following bad advice and have been thoroughly cleaning my bowl with pipe cleaners after each bowl and wiping away any potential buildup. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.