Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Greetings,
Recently, my favorite pipe developed a build up of cake all around the inside of the chamber. :oops: Normally, it wouldn’t be a problem but I can no longer fit my tamper inside. Can I use a knife to scrape the inside out? I dont want to damage me pipe! :?:

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
If you are new to pipe care I would not recommend using a knife. It would be best at first to use the scraper part of your pipe tool. Using a knife can cause damage if you start to cut to deep.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Ideally a reamer, which you probably don't have. Order one off SPC or fleabay or some such, & wait a few days if you think you can. If you need to work it in the interim, screwdriver as workman said. DEFINITELY not a knife; too much danger of hurting either yourself or the pipe.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Ideally a reamer, which you probably don't have. Order one off SPC or fleabay or some such, & wait a few days if you think you can. If you need to work it in the interim, screwdriver as workman said. DEFINITELY not a knife; too much danger of hurting either yourself or the pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is my regular reamer, but if you've never done it before, don't try it just yet. If a tamper won't fit, tape some fine sandpaper around a pencil and slowly work your way around the chamber with short up and down movements until you are left with a thin even carbon layer.
img_20180101_181051-337x600.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Obviously you are new to the pipe. I'd suggest a dedicated reamer as it is very easy to end up "out of round" with a knife. Whatever your use, "small bites." If you've decided to be a "no cake" smoker, more caution when getting to the wood. You are "paring" the material, not carving it.
With experience you'll be keeping cake to preferred thickness easy. Lot's of suggestions on the site with respect to cake.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
A Butner-style reamer is the most forgiving, IMO; it self-adjusts and the edges aren't even sharpened. They work great for me, but they are designed to maintain as you go, NOT to cut out a bunch of cake once you are over-caked.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Thanks to everyone who replied. All of your advice is much appreciated.
Yes, I have only been smoking pipes for the last 2-3 years (formerly a cigar smoker!), but I’ve never had this problem before. I’m going to follow the advice of the professionals :worship:and first try with my pipe tool, sandpaper, or a screwdriver.
Bnichols, you are correct I dont have a reamer but I do have sandpaper and my pipe tool
ChasingEmbers, I have a knife very simliar to yours. It was my grandfathers knife!

Thanks guys

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
ChasingEmbers, I have a knife very simliar to yours. It was my grandfathers knife!
Not quite that old yet! :rofl:
Bought that one specifically for cutting plugs and reaming. Case XX Stockman

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Sandpaper/pencil is doable, as is screwdriver. The key is keeping it even. Being a Case knife man from way back, I know the Stockman Duane uses, & it's an option once you get really experienced at it, but to start (especially with a super-thick cake like you described) it's risky.
Reaming it out gradually & increasing the size of the core rod (pencil, dowel, screwdriver, whatever) can work till the real reamer(s) come. There are a number of different styles, some adjustable & some not. Ideally that's really your best solution long-term. :)
Bill

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I second to mr.skaukatt, I have this set on hand but never had used it to this day or my stainless steel Senior reamer in that matter I usually wipe my pipe's chamber with paper towel yet occasionally I rinse chamber with hot water this way theres hardly no need to ream them.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I use a variety of tools for trimming the cake. Mostly I use a Pipnet, but I also have Swedish made stainless steel reamers, a Butner for conical chambers, and flexible sanding sheets. A good way to keep the cake from building up is to wipe the chamber walls with a pipe cleaner or two, or a wad of paper toweling, after smoking a bowl.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Lots of good feedback already stated on how to ream; looks like you’ll be expanding your piping abilities :)
A good way to keep the cake from building up is to wipe the chamber walls with a pipe cleaner or two, or a wad of paper toweling, after smoking a bowl.
+1 ... I maintain a very thin carbon cake by bending a soft pipe cleaner into a U or V depending on the bowl, and then pull the ash out of the bowl into an ashtray. Then rebend same pipe cleaner to expose fresh cleaner, and gently scrub the bowl out again Then repeat with another cleaner until the cleaner stays clean. You can run your finger inside the bowl at this point and can feel the carbon build, so you’re still getting cake. I will also use a pipe tool to gently knock down uneven carbonized leaf using the file side of the scraper tool (as little pressure as possible to accomplish task).
Admittedly, I have never striven to build up a cake to dime thickness so I’m really not sure if that helps create a better smoke, so YMMV. I definitely have a cake, just an ultra thin layer, and my pipes smoke / taste great.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One cohort of Forums members, including me, prefers to not build cake, so we wipe out the bowl after scooping it out, wiping with a stiff paper towel or napkin. This maintains a nice carbon layer but not cake, keeps the size of the chamber near its original size, and eliminates wear and tear from a reamer or other tool used to hew down the cake. If you wonder how this works over time, I have the first pipe I bought in the mid-1970's, which I have maintained this way, and it is still smoking strong with no chamber damage at all. Many just love to build cake, and more power to them. I prefer no cake.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
If you wonder how this works over time, I have the first pipe I bought in the mid-1970's, which I have maintained this way, and it is still smoking strong with no chamber damage at all.
@mso ... This is good news! How many times have you had to go in with a reamer on this pipe since then? None?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I am actually in awe of thickly caked pipes. Nothing but a pipe cleaner has touched this chamber in nearly a decade since I bought it. Barely any cake there.
20180707_164116.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Tom (mso) speaks troo trufe, as usual. I'm a member of the other, pro-cake group. I don't get anal about cake, but I do like a certain amount. Judicious cleaning after every bowl is just too bothersome & a PITA for me.
I'll run 2-3 cleaners through till they come out clean & dry, but launder after every bowl, nah. We pro-cake guys will usually keep the lining about the thickness of a nickel/dime, depending on the size of the bowl. Only takes a little time, do it every now & then, & we're just as happy as the other guys. You pays yer money & you takes yer cherce, as they say. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.