Caitlin Clark left off Women's Olympic Basketball Team.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Tennis, golf and football (soccer) played by top ranked woman is of a high level. I watch a bit of each of those.
high level = 15 year old boy level, to be honest about it
Women's sports are great, but "professional" women's sports?
Some sports have a distinctly feminine character -- I enjoy women's figure skating, gymnastics, and diving for instance
Also sports which involve more accuracy than physical strength, rifle and archery for instance

Last edited:

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Having Clark on the team would draw bigger TV audiences but I’m not sure it would be the best basketball decision. There is a lot of talent and a lot of proven talent at her position. Clark has not not been part of the program the way other deserving woman have.
Also- regardless of her actions off the court it makes no sense to me to compare Griner a 6’9 center with Clark a 6’0 guard.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Came across this, for the record:

Here are the stats to date in the WNBA this season as of June 8, 2024.

In total points scored this season, Clark is 7th in the WNBA. Only four women selected to the Olympic team are ahead of Clark (Copper, Stewart, Collier, and Wilson).

In scoring average per game Clark is 13th in the WNBA. Only 8 girls on the Olympic Team have game averages in scoring better than Clark (Wilson, Copper, Collier, Stewart, Lloyd, Plum, Young and Ionescu).

In three pointers made this season, Clark is second in the WNBA. No woman on the Olympic team has made more 3’s than Caitlin Clark!

In three pointers made per game this year in the WNBA, Clark is 4th in the league. Only two women on the Olympic team averaged more 3s made per game than Caitlin Clark (Plum and Taurasi).

In total assists to date this year in the WNBA, Clark is 3rd in the League. Only one woman on the Olympic team has more assists than Caitlin Clark this year (Thomas).

In assists per game this year in the WNBA, Clark is 4th in the WNBA. Only two woman on the Olympic team have more assists per game (Thomas and Young).

Despite these numbers and breaking nearly every scoring and assist record imaginable during her illustrious career at Iowa, Caitlin Clark is not on the Olympic team.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I couldn't agree more. Personally, I quit watching sports many years ago due primarily to the manner in which it is used for promoting various forms of propaganda (also I'm not even sure how much of it is real anymore...and how much is rigged and scripted).

My only interest in it now is just observing how it is used and manipulated for social engineering purposes.

PS: In the "Professional Liars" category, politicians and corporate "news media" talking heads would be far ahead of TV and film actors...and while I agree they are influential, they are some of the least admired.
I'd have to disagree a bit.
MANY people, mostly the "younger" generations, admire someone like Taylor Swift and Lizzo more than our founding fathers, all the presidents combined and their own parents.
This is exactly why presidential candidates fight hard for the support of people like Taylor Swift, Kanye West and Robert DeNiro just to name a few.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
It never ceases to amaze me that the most influential and admired people in American society for decades have been 1) Professional liars (i.e. TV and film actors --- the more convincingly they can "be" someone they're not, the better); 2) Professional singers (because being able to hit certain notes is of monumental importance in world affairs); and 3) Grown-ups who are good at playing children's school recess games that require a ball.
Yep, and MOST of these types are drunks, junkies, mental ill, felons and generally just bad people.
I said MOST....not all.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'd have to disagree a bit.
MANY people, mostly the "younger" generations, admire someone like Taylor Swift and Lizzo more than our founding fathers, all the presidents combined and their own parents.
This is exactly why presidential candidates fight hard for the support of people like Taylor Swift, Kanye West and Robert DeNiro just to name a few.
I agree.

When I said the politicians and talking heads are "far ahead", I meant as Professional Liars...not in terms of being admired.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
high level = 15 year old boy level, to be honest about it
Women's sports are great, but "professional" women's sports?
Some sports have a distinctly feminine character -- I enjoy women's figure skating, gymnastics, and diving for instance
Also sports which involve more accuracy than physical strength, rifle and archery for instance
You know it’s great to have a true chauvinist pig show up in the middle of a dollars and cents discussion.

Go get me a sammich, Moriarty.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Came across this, for the record:

Here are the stats to date in the WNBA this season as of June 8, 2024.

In total points scored this season, Clark is 7th in the WNBA. Only four women selected to the Olympic team are ahead of Clark (Copper, Stewart, Collier, and Wilson).

In scoring average per game Clark is 13th in the WNBA. Only 8 girls on the Olympic Team have game averages in scoring better than Clark (Wilson, Copper, Collier, Stewart, Lloyd, Plum, Young and Ionescu).

In three pointers made this season, Clark is second in the WNBA. No woman on the Olympic team has made more 3’s than Caitlin Clark!

In three pointers made per game this year in the WNBA, Clark is 4th in the league. Only two women on the Olympic team averaged more 3s made per game than Caitlin Clark (Plum and Taurasi).

In total assists to date this year in the WNBA, Clark is 3rd in the League. Only one woman on the Olympic team has more assists than Caitlin Clark this year (Thomas).

In assists per game this year in the WNBA, Clark is 4th in the WNBA. Only two woman on the Olympic team have more assists per game (Thomas and Young).

Despite these numbers and breaking nearly every scoring and assist record imaginable during her illustrious career at Iowa, Caitlin Clark is not on the Olympic team.

She also leads the league in turnovers and it is widely acknowledged that she is not one of the top 12 woman basketball players in the country. That said do think she will be a driving force on the national team in years to come. But, I’m not a basketball expert and probably would have like to see her represent USA in the Olympics. However, it is unfair to suggest that she was snubbed for purely political reasons. There is a basketball case to be made. Further, player selection is handled by a six person panel so multiple people weighed in on the decision to leave her off the team.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
She also leads the league in turnovers and it is widely acknowledged that she is not one of the top 12 woman basketball players in the country. That said do think she will be a driving force on the national team in years to come. But, I’m not a basketball expert and probably would have like to see her represent USA in the Olympics. However, it is unfair to suggest that she was snubbed for purely political reasons. There is a basketball case to be made. Further, player selection is handled by a six person panel so multiple people weighed in on the decision to leave her off the team.
You are correct. She makes too many turnovers at this point and her defense doesn't even rise to the level of abysmal. My point wasn't she deserves to be on the team based solely upon merit. At this point, she doesn't. My point is she has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to create tremendous interest and fan support. I believe average attendance at WNBA games has historically been 2,000 give or take. Clark's games are attracting more than 15,000. Every female basketball player on the planet should wish for her to play in the Olympics. I've watched zero seconds of women's Olympics basketball to date. I'm sure I'm not alone. We're Clark playing, I'd make it a point to tune it.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I agree.

When I said the politicians and talking heads are "far ahead", I meant as Professional Liars...not in terms of being admired.
Ah yes, sorry, I misread your post to say people didn't admire tv and movie actors.
As far as politicians, most of the younger generation only know that Trump is bad. Other than that, many cannot name ONE other politician. They ONLY vote if their favorite doped up singer or youtuber tells them to.
You should watch some youtube videos of Mark Dice, "man on the street" videos. College students who can't point to the US on a world map, and college students who don't know how many dimes are in a dollar......and a bunch more, its very sad.

Reactions: Kobold and brian64

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
You are correct. She makes too many turnovers at this point and her defense doesn't even rise to the level of abysmal. My point wasn't she deserves to be on the team based solely upon merit. At this point, she doesn't. My point is she has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to create tremendous interest and fan support. I believe average attendance at WNBA games has historically been 2,000 give or take. Clark's games are attracting more than 15,000. Every female basketball player on the planet should wish for her to play in the Olympics. I've watched zero seconds of women's Olympics basketball to date. I'm sure I'm not alone. We're Clark playing, I'd make it a point to tune it.
I agree if she we’re playing I (and I think most Americans) would be more likely to tune in. From a marketing stand point and in the interest of growing the sport it is probably a big mistake to leave her off the team. My point is only that if the objective is to field the best team possible there are (in my opinion) valid basketball reasons why others might be selected ahead of Catlin Clark

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
She's a point guard that has to learn how to defend at this level and turnovers are an issue. She plays on a bad team (11th out of 12 teams) so is playing from behind a lot and is given the green light to shoot a lot. Griner makes the team as one of 2 centers. Team USA needs her physical play inside and rim defense. WNBA has come a long way to the point where it is harder to pick 12 players for the Olympics, Clark works hard and she'll improve and probably make future Olympic teams. Go Lynx!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I agree if she we’re playing I (and I think most Americans) would be more likely to tune in. From a marketing stand point and in the interest of growing the sport it is probably a big mistake to leave her off the team. My point is only that if the objective is to field the best team possible there are (in my opinion) valid basketball reasons why others might be selected ahead of Catlin Clark
100% agree. I'm simply saying having her on the team would be a positive for the Olympics and women's basketball. Big time. I can't speak for the women's.Olympic teams in the past but it has been a long, long time since the US men sent the best 12.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
It is certainly the case that Caitlin Clark has brought thousand of fans into women's basketball. The last two women's college final four have been exciting because of Clark and a number of other very skilled players. I have no doubt she will make the next few olympic teams and no one will say she doesn't deserve it.

However, I have to disagree with the estimable @hoosierpipeguy about Brittany Griner. I only became aware of her when she was imprisoned in Russia for forgetting that she had a small amount of pot that was legal in the US. A mistake on her part for sure but everyone understood that this was political retaliation for American support of Ukraine. When I saw Griner interviewed (on 60 Minutes I think), I was impressed. It was clear she was relieved and happy to be back in the USA and, if she ever had anti-American sentiments, certainly doesn't now.

Last edited:

lupy1234

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 3, 2023
Hanover, PA
It never ceases to amaze me that the most influential and admired people in American society for decades have been 1) Professional liars (i.e. TV and film actors --- the more convincingly they can "be" someone they're not, the better); 2) Professional singers (because being able to hit certain notes is of monumental importance in world affairs); and 3) Grown-ups who are good at playing children's school recess games that require a ball.
You forgot those who OD or take way too many drugs

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
Not pipe related other than I've smoked many a bowl watching Caitlin Clark play basketball. If you're a basketball fan at all and haven't seen her play, do yourself a favor and watch one of her games.
How can they leave Caitlin Clark off of the women's Olympic team? I'm not sure she's one of the best 12 US players in the WNBA right now. She's at least close and I cannot image the women's Olympic team would suffer by her participation. What her presence would do is have people attending the games and tuning in on TV. I'll bet there would be a 10x difference in viewership with Clark on the team.
At the same time, I believe Brittney Griner, the POS that has publicly stated her hatred and disdain for the USA and spent months in a Russian prison for being brilliant enough to be caught possessing drugs in Russia, is on the team. I can't argue against her talent but do I want this traitor to represent our country? Seriously?
Were I a player in the WNBA, I would go hug Clark every time and saw her and express my sincere gratitude for helping me get more exposure and make more money. Instead, the vast majority are acting like thugs and doing petty crap; I assume out of jealousy. There's no logical reason.
Do you think PGA Players hate Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods, 3 men who were incredibly influential in making professional golf what it is today? And for creating the following that puts millions and tens of millions of dollars in their pockets? I'm sure there's an isolated few but overall, those 3 men are revered and appreciated for what they did during their careers to better the game.
What sickens me is this kind of crap is indicative of the Country we now live in. I for one will not watch one second of the US Women's Olympic basketball and I'm confident I'm not alone with that sentiment.
There’s women’s basketball in the Olympics?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
You know it’s great to have a true chauvinist pig show up in the middle of a dollars and cents discussion.

Go get me a sammich, Moriarty.
For the record, our daughter was extremely active in many sports from early childhood through college, and I coached her youth soccer team for several years. Great exercise of body, mind and spirit; life lessons, social connections, and fun. I highly recommend all humans be active in sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.