PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had my early romance with coffee in the comforts of the family home. Then I lived with Navy coffee, which you need, which is terrible. It always had the taste of metal and stale tannin, chicory maybe, and if you were really imaginative or hallucinating, you could taste coffee in there, at 3 a.m. on the radio watch. But it did keep you awake, in a sort of zombie state. No wonder the senior enlisted guys were so grouchy; eventually, I was too.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I’m low-functioning in the morning until I’ve had coffee and nicotine. I can go without either for hours without getting super grouchy or antsy, but you could shine a flashlight in my right ear and see a spot of light on the wall to my left, and holding a conversation with me is about as productive as watching paint dry on growing grass. That derpy manul cat in my avatar photo? That’s me until I’m fully caffeinated and nicotinated.

During the day, nicotine gives me a reason to get up and take breaks from coding. Coffee keeps my brain’s boilers stoked and at full operating pressure, especially in the afternoon.

Reactions: BlueMaxx

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I was the only one in the kitchen with here and she put the cream and milk in. It was our special time. It's kind f funny I still put 1/2 and 1/2 in y coffee with 5 table spoons of Stevia(it is a 30 oz cup). I make Cafe Du Monde every day and I make it strong. I used to do thee whole bean, grinder,, vacuum esspresso and I love my DuMonde. with chicory .
You ever been to Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans??
Worth the whole trip just to go there for coffee and beignets.
Oh and I don't know about nicotine or caffeine helping the other, but the two go hand in hand for me. I don't smoke with out caffeine, and I don't drink caffeine with out smoking. I don't do anything without either....im just always drinking coffee or Mt dew and smoking. Always smoking.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Coffee, Nicotine, Croissant. It's the ultimate recipe for serenity.

The two do seem to go hand in hand though. When I worked in mental health we would always use the slang phrase "coke and smoke" to refer to caffeine and cigarettes, as it was very frequently a combination voraciously consumed by those in recovery for substance abuse.

I definitely find coffee enhances the flavor of tobacco products, particularly pipes, but that could just be me.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Coffee, Nicotine, Croissant. It's the ultimate recipe for serenity.

The two do seem to go hand in hand though. When I worked in mental health we would always use the slang phrase "coke and smoke" to refer to caffeine and cigarettes, as it was very frequently a combination voraciously consumed by those in recovery for substance abuse.

I definitely find coffee enhances the flavor of tobacco products, particularly pipes, but that could just be me.

Couldn't agree more!

Have you seen "Coffee and Cigarettes" with Steven Wright? It's hilarious.

Reactions: donjgiles

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Couldn't agree more!

Have you seen "Coffee and Cigarettes" with Steven Wright? It's hilarious.
I have but it's been a long time. I recall multiple vignettes in black and white with recognizable and unique celebrities having conversations. Is that the one?

Reactions: Magpiety

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You ever been to Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans??
Worth the whole trip just to go there for coffee and beignets.
Oh and I don't know about nicotine or caffeine helping the other, but the two go hand in hand for me. I don't smoke with out caffeine, and I don't drink caffeine with out smoking. I don't do anything without either....im just always drinking coffee or Mt dew and smoking. Always smoking.
Didi, I have been there 3 times so far and always go there at least once a day. I always go to Mothers for a Po Boy as well.

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
I think nicotine and caffeine synergize each others metabolism -- When I was going thru a rough time, I was using snus, taking a few grams of nasal snuff, and smoking 2-3 pipes a day, I could drink probably 6+ cups of coffee a day. Now, after I quit everything for a year as a sort of "re-set", I can have about 1 cup of black tea before I start to feel on edge. Quitting caffeine, tobacco and alcohol, caffeine was the hardest, but it was most problematic with my adrenal sensitivities so it had to go for a while.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Hell yeah, buddy! Combining stimulants definitely enhances the effects in my experience. All you need is to add some cocaine for a real party, but make sure and keep some valiums handy just in case you need to regulate. :LOL:

Seriously, though, I mix the two every morning and it definitely gives me a jolt. Gets me ready to, as Jim Harbaugh would say, "Attack the day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind."

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I've heard of people who sleep easily after coffee, even lots of coffee, though it makes most people hyper, which in the morning is good, and may help during the mid-afternoon slump, but makes others too nervous. Nicotine seems to have both effects. Many use tobacco to get keyed up to think about problems or projects, as Sherlock Holmes was depicted as doing. Others find strong nicotine at night helps put them to sleep, hence the names of blends like Nightcap and Bayou Night. If you have a heavy nicotine buzz, sometimes the only remedy is to get to bed, at night or for a nap. Nicotine seems to have both effects, but of course it is different in different people.

That's always been the astonishing thing to me about nicotine. Wakes me up in the morning and helps put me to sleep at night.

As far as caffeine, my grandpa drank coffee non-stop all day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I assume that's where I got my affinity for and resistance to caffeine. But I don't think nicotine necessarily changes the effects of caffeine or vice versa. They just go well together, that's all.

R

Rattray

I don't know if one enhances the other or increases the level of the other. Or both. But, in my experience, coffee is probably the best drink to tag along with a pipeful. :)