PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
With this latest sale I bought 8 ounces of bulk Yorktown. I’ve only smoked 1 bowl so far so the jury is still out for me. I’m wondering if the tinned version is as dry as the bulk is. My batch had little to no moisture, is that normal for this C&D Virginia?
I found the bulk a bit drier then the tin at first, however I think that's the proper way to smoke it though. Oddly it's easier to slow smoke something that is properly dry, why cause you don't have to worry about it going out just have to consider not going fast. :)

Reactions: maulragoth

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yorktown sound quite good. Sometimes the less dramatic blends unfold over time and provide some of the best meditative idea-producing smokes. In some moods, subtlety is better than excitement. Since I'm a burley guy, Virginias can be a worthwhile change of pace.

Reactions: anotherbob

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Yorktown sound quite good. Sometimes the less dramatic blends unfold over time and provide some of the best meditative idea-producing smokes. In some moods, subtlety is better than excitement. Since I'm a burley guy, Virginias can be a worthwhile change of pace.

I agree with you 100%...while I love the complex blends, in certain moods a straight forward smoke is all you need or want. Sometimes, if I’ve got a lot on my mind or am doing something else while smoking, I feel like a big English blend is kind of wasted, I’m not giving the blend the attention I should be.

I think you’d like Yorktown quite a bit, it’s definitely grown on me even since I wrote this little review and for me, fills that “less dramatic/subtle” role that you’re mentioning pretty well. I wish it was just a touch stronger in the nicotine...I rely on OJK for nicotine cravings, but the massive amount of Perique in OJK doesn’t always sit well with me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
yes it's not dramatic but there is more then enough to dig into. And when you pay attention there are many nuances to notice. And it can show you the wonders of slow smoking as it reveals some nice distinct things when you take your time with it.

Reactions: maulragoth

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
Nice review. I have come to really love the stuff, and found myself burning through my first sample much faster than expected. So, I ordered 5 pounds once a 20% sale came along, and I think that should do it for having enough before I die. I like a bowl or two here and there a few times a week.

In case anyone is interested, here's the notes I kept for myself on it where I rate 0-10 skulls. (I have never given a 10 just being a hard grader and always leaving room for improvement. Realistically, I should go back to all my notes and add 1 to 2 skulls for many of my tobaccos.)

Lattice Meerschaum - Full Bowl
New Belgium - Liquid Paradise

[Tin/Bag - Slight apricots, reminded faintly of Stokkebye Navy Flake for some reason even though LNF has Perique. Fairly dry, ready to smoke.]

A clean crispy citrus Virginia. Toasty light grass and leans towards the lemony side. Very good, I really like this clean straight Virginia. Bright and lemony in the nose with some grass/hay, mouthwatering from the lemon citrus tang.

As with a lot of Virginia's puff slow or get nipped. Burns excellent down to fine ash with little to no moisture. I usually knock it out leaving a little leaf at the bottom of the bowl for fear of tongue bite trying to go to the very last of the bottom.

◄8/10✠Skulls►

Reactions: Jaylotw and ray47

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Nice review. I have come to really love the stuff, and found myself burning through my first sample much faster than expected. So, I ordered 5 pounds once a 20% sale came along, and I think that should do it for having enough before I die. I like a bowl or two here and there a few times a week.

In case anyone is interested, here's the notes I kept for myself on it where I rate 0-10 skulls. (I have never given a 10 just being a hard grader and always leaving room for improvement. Realistically, I should go back to all my notes and add 1 to 2 skulls for many of my tobaccos.)
Interesting there with the apricots. After I read this, I took a schniff of my jar and yep...apricots! Might just be your suggestion sticking in my head causing me to identify it but either way it’s a note I hadn’t noticed before! Yorktown is pretty rapidly becoming a top blend for me.

Excellent review, BTW. I like the skull rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.