PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
After a bit of time with this, my first straight VA ribbon tobacco, I’m beginning to see it’s merits.

Ordinarily, Big Bunches of Bright VAs Bring Bad Bite for me, and this blend isn’t any different...the first 1/4 bowl seems to be bitey and hot, although I’m willing to admit that I can smoke a little fast at times and that could be the entire issue right there. I mitigate the bite with some black tea...I find it works pretty well to soothe a rough tongue.
I think this Yorktown stuff is nice, the double-stoved VAs, to my tastes have a bread-like taste, maybe a bit of hay and grass right off the bat, with some good sweetness typical of red VAs.

The flavor moves more into the fruity and spicy realm about midway through the smoke, and stay consistent from there, and the biteyness of the bright VAs tends to dissipate somewhat although, again, that could just be me slowing down my pace. There’s also some interesting tangy sort of flavors hanging in the mix that I can pick up on from time to time, not quite ketchup or vinegar but in that neighborhood.

Fullness of Flavor is about medium, nicotine about the same. It satisfies.

I’m pretty happy with Yorktown so far, it’s not blowing my head off, and it’s nothing truly remarkable, but I think someone looking for a no frills, cheap all-day VA ribbon would do OK trying this one out.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
My favorite straight Virginia. I don't age it because I smoke thru a pound too quick.

Maybe I’m crazy but I think Yorktown smokes best when you pack pretty tightly, do you have a similar experience?

I’m fairly certain my 2oz will be gone shortly, and that this one might be a “creeper” like Old Joe Krantz was for me, as in I didn’t realize how often I smoked it until I had no more.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Go easier on lighting, the first 1/4 shouldn't burn any more than the last 1/4. Yorktown is a decent VA, I like C&D's Opening Night a bit better.

Yeah that’s a good point, I do tend to get a little excited when lighting up and probably have a hot coal going at the beginning.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Good review. I have an unopened tin that I've been putting off opening. Maybe I'll have to open it up. I'm not the biggest VA fan (I prefer burleys), but there's a couple I like fine enough.

If you want to try another C&D VA, check out their Virginia Gentleman. It's good for a simple regular ol' smoke (to me). "A unique combination of Virginias and Burleys, with a slight touch of Turkish for added sophistication, creates C&D's Virginia Gentleman, a superb all day smoke for those who enjoy Virginia blends but find them a touch bitey for all day enjoyment."

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Go easier on lighting, the first 1/4 shouldn't burn any more than the last 1/4. Yorktown is a decent VA, I like C&D's Opening Night a bit better.

I agree Opening Night is better--it's the best VA C&D offers. If it were offered in bulk I'd probably never touch Yorktown

Reactions: Bowie

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
My first impression was that it was very tangy and acidic with some tongue bite. Kind of like the equivalent of eating sweet tarts.

jdival215

Lurker
Jul 26, 2018
With this latest sale I bought 8 ounces of bulk Yorktown. I’ve only smoked 1 bowl so far so the jury is still out for me. I’m wondering if the tinned version is as dry as the bulk is. My batch had little to no moisture, is that normal for this C&D Virginia?

Status
Not open for further replies.