PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
So when I ordered my tobacco I decided to get a tin on whim that I never tried before. I went with C&D Tuskegee Airmen! I wanted this last month to honor Black History Month, but didn't discover this blend until later.
IMO this blend is perfect if you are a lat man like myself. It is the perfect mix of Virginia and Lat as well as Turkish w/ P. The Lat is present, but not like some other lat blends where after a few bowls it can be heavy on the tongue. The smoke is thick and rich and although it says there is perique in the blend you can't really taste it at all. If there is any it's not noticeable. Very cool smoke without a trace of tongue bite. This maybe due to the amount of Virginia's w/ the Turk in the blend to make it all come together. Tin note is sweet and smokey to the point my mouth was watering when I smelled it. LOL. :rofl:
So if you are looking for a smooth Lat blend that could be an all day smoke, this is it!!!!
I highly recommend you give it a try! :puffy:

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Thanks for the review! I've got a tin of this aging right now and am looking forward to a nice, cold wintery day to try it out.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Now you're speaking my language! I've been extolling the virtues of Tuskegee Airmen to anyone that will listen. I love that blend. In my opinion, its one of the best C&D produces. Absolutely outstanding and a wonderful way to honor some of the best pilots of WWII!

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I agree juvat270!!!
It really is an honor. I never heard of anyone talking about it so I thought it was something that was nothing that was all that. Boy it is so underrated! :roll:

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Craig asked me to smoke this blend when introduced. He sent me samples and I ordered more. I truly enjoyed smoking two-pounds of this blend when it was introduced. My wife does not care for Latakia. Therefore I keep some on hand for that outdoors smoke in the non-Winter season. I live in Wisconsin!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I've been smoking C&D Tuskegee Airmen for a couple of years now and it is one of my favorites. I agree it is underrated but on the positive side it is readily available without having to do too much searching unlike my other favorite blend(Penzance). :puffpipe:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Eazy:
I just finished up some outstanding Montford Point Marine and look forward to trying Tuskegee Airmen. Not only was the tobacco delicious I've got to give C&D a tip of the hat for acknowledging the involvement of African Americans in WWII.
I mean, really? How cool is that?
Now, if they'll come out with a blend honoring the drivers of the Red Ball Express they'll have come full circle.
Putting some TA on my next order, fiend.
Fnord

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
One of those blends I keep hearing about, but keep forgetting to order. Really like latikia blends (for over 35 years), and am a big fan of the Red Tails, so I admit to being remiss...OK, it's on the next TAD listing! Thanks for the kick in the butt to get me going....

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
That is an excellent blend. I had the pleasure of meting a few Airmen a few years back while still studying in college. A truly humbling experience and honor to meet a few good men of our greatest generation.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I bought my first tin of Tuskegee Airmen just this past Saturday at a local B&M and cracked it open while I was there. It was tinned in August of 2010 and the tin was distended from fermentation and I wanted to be sure all was well with it. Loading it there I got a good lesson (eventually) in expectations versus reality. Somehow I had gotten the impression that it would be a variant of the typical C&D Latakia-heavy Englishes. When it wasn't I was confused despite liking the first bowl.

That day I smoked a total of three bowls; on Sunday, two more, and yesterday on my first bowl I realized that TA is actually a high-quality VAPER enhanced with superior Izmir Turkish and a touch of Latakia. Once I could slot it in my smoking world I loved it.

It is the second of C&D's commemorative series but could just as easily have been introduced as a new member of their Simply Elegant series of flakes. It reminds me of Red Carpet with added bit of Latakia or a slightly sweeter Sunday Picnic, again with some Lat.
I am returning to the B&M this weekend to clear his shelf of this one.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I hear you papipeguy!
I think I'm going to be heading in the direction of more C&D blends. Especially since the first one I fell in love with was Pirate Kake!
Thanks the heads up on USS Mason. I want to order that next and also Buffalo Soldier. :puffy:

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Now that I have been smoking this for awhile, one more thing I have to add is that the blend has a nice vitamin N kick to it. Nothing that will knock you off your feet, but a nice undertone. You can really feel it after two bowls.
FYI! :puffy:

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
If you like a non-aromatic Latakia blend, you can't go wrong with Tuskegee Airman.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pjhicks

Lurker
Nov 16, 2010
Thanks for the review! I am getting back into trying new blends and this one is on my growing list. My taste palette has changed quite a bit and Latakia really appeals to me now.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Thanks for the review! I have to admit I have a tin in my cellar that I bought solely because of the tin art. I'm ex USAF and love anything aviation related so how could I resist? I thought it was a great way to honor those brave guys and enjoy some tobacco from a great blender. Now you are tempting me to crack it open and give it a try.

DSC_0049_zpse211985a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.