PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I absolutely agree! I was really curious about these blends but the tin art was so off-putting I decided not to. I think creepy is a pretty good descriptor. They needed to flesh out the product description to overcome the oddness of the label, but I recall it being minimal at release.
Anyway, this may be the first time tin art has served as prophylactic for TAD.
Sykes, the full band art does indeed look nice but it will be missed entirely by online shoppers. Imo put a pin in Mr Miller and see what the Sillyoldbear can come up with.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I know it's way off topic, but has anyone actually tried what's inside the tins?
Kind of curious here myself... they look like fun.
These strike me as more Victorian in that, despite the rather theocratic names, they are designed to be under-stated, and that always impresses me more than the overblown.
Yep, back to the shopping cart to find out what is going on here... in-depth investigation is required!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I've tried Bridge Mixture. It's a shag cut (Dunhill style) Latakia, red Virginia, bright Virginia, red cavendish, perique, Turkish and dark fired. It's not Lat. Heavy, reminds me of Buffalo Soldier but more complex. I love it. I've smoked a tin and refused to do a review because, a) it changes so much from bowl to bowl b) I don't do reviews anymore c) to keep it from you tobacco hoarders, because I'm hoarding it myself :)
I don't know what your into Sable, but if you like a little Latakia in your Kitchen Sink Mixtures, you'll like Bridge Mixture.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Do you just creep out really easily?
Oh hell no.
But this funereal Victorian tin art, or the "springtime" '70's feminine hygiene product tin art work, with names like "Consolation" and "Repose" for the funeral art and "Reverie" for the hygiene art just strike me as a bit creepy when applied to pipe tobacco. I'm not suggesting that "Sweaty Balls", "Hanging Entrails", or "Demented Gazing Geezer" would be an improvement.
EDIT: Do I really want to be reminded of funerals when I'm lighting up a pipe?

Jan 8, 2013
I'm not suggesting that "Sweaty Balls", "Hanging Entrails", or "Demented Gazing Geezer" would be an improvement.
I now have the names for my next three blends! Thanks, Sablebrush! :D
Personally, I applaud their choice of tin art for these blends. It's refreshing. :mrgreen:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Can you say that in semaphore, please?
I could, but it would take up the entire server.
I think I know what he is talking about. Scalloped shapes.
Actually, I didn't really register the scallops, more the inward facing spikes surrounding "Consolation" and "Repose". Having seen the rest of the tin art helps resolve the intent, but that's not what's facing the viewer. And using a red for repose just doesn't work, but that's just art stuff.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm in the "funereal Victorian solemnity" camp. I think what really drove it home was after seeing this thread, seeing the SPC ad showing them stacked vertically. It looks like they'd have a carte de visite of a dead Victorian child inside like trading cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.