PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
No. C&D does not produce any ropes or plugs that I am aware of. I just wish that they did. I would be interested to see what Jeremy could come up with. I enjoy this tobacco medium and wish that an American blender would produce them. Just my musings on this quiet Saturday morning.
I’m with you! Would like to see what kind of voodoo they would come up with! Though it would be a HUGE investment in equipment.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I'll readily admit to being ignorant to what it takes to make plugs/ropes. Can you elaborate at all? Thanks.
Plugs (true plugs) require presses that exert many tons of force for good period of time and the ropes require a spinning machine for any kind of production, of course ropes have been made for centuries by hand. I’m in no way an expert though?

Reactions: ofafeather

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Plugs (true plugs) require presses that exert many tons of force for good period of time and the ropes require a spinning machine for any kind of production, of course ropes have been made for centuries by hand. I’m in no way an expert though?
It's not the pressure itself, it's a combination of pressure - which as far as I recall from a vid C&D they have an industrial press which undoubtedly can exert more pressure than SG/G&H old hand-cranked presses (they don't use these anymore) - with casing (which C&D is not using much at all of) and steam (steam presses as far as I know are only owned by European companies like SG/G&H, STG and MacBaren, K&K and Dan Tobacco). Also rope machines are only owned by Gawith, the other companies above do not make actual ropes, they make rolls which are then cut (except from Peter Heinrich's Curly Block). Only Gawith has the machines and staff with knowhow to produce ropes at a large scale of any sort.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
That’s awesome. I love GH ropes, but have been padding out my stash with different stuff lately.

what I’m curious about is flavour and smoking characteristics differences between twists and plugs made with the same proportions of leaf. I’ve been making single leaf sticks and then cutting into a chunk which fills the chamber - a bouchon I think it’s called. I feel the “long filler” changes something