PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I’ve never smoked a straight Virginia tobacco before. I bought this as a blending component and to learn more about each of the types of tobacco. I decided to sit down this afternoon and smoke a bowl of this baccy.
I let it dry a while while I was finishing up some chores. I’m halfway through this bowl right now and I may have just discovered I love Red Virginias!
I was kind of anticipating this to be difficult to smoke and have to fend off tongue bite.

This is absolutely delicious. I am sipping my way through this and enjoying the subtle sweet and grass, rich hay notes. I Pick up an occasional bread like richness also.
Smoking it slow provides a nice cool smoke -no tongue bite.
Couple of days ago I smoked this tobacco with 50% J4 Burley and really enjoyed that smoke. Now I know where the sweet flavors were coming from. I’m glad I bought 8 ounces of this and have some sitting in the cellar.
I’m starting to think about acquiring some more Virginia centric ribbon and flake tobacco’s.

If anyone out there has some suggestions for the best Virginia pure or Virginia centric blends, let me know.
I think my next experiment is going to be adding a small pinch of perique to this wonderful tobacco.

Last edited:

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Yorktown obviously. But if you didn't know I was going to say that, you really don't pay much attention to what I ramble about here. Though if you haven't tried it it's incredible and a super red VA. It's red Va on red Va.
@anotherbob
I’ve been taking notes on “What are you smoking”. I did a tobacco search on SP and added several to my wish list for my next purchase which included Yorktown, C&D Derringer, Navy Flake and HH Pure Virginia on the list.
Thanks for the ++ on Yorktown

I have some Newminster # 400, SNF and Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake samples that I haven’t tried yet.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
@anotherbob
I’ve been taking notes on “What are you smoking”. I did a tobacco search on SP and added several to my wish list for my next purchase which included Yorktown, C&D Derringer, Navy Flake and HH Pure Virginia on the list.

I have some Newminster # 400, SNF and Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake samples that I haven’t tried yet.
Very solid list of blends on your sample list

Reactions: Fralphog

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
@anotherbob

I doubt you'll be disappointed. Well aside from the not ordering more ;)

Reactions: Fralphog

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yorktown is a favorite. Derringer is also good, though a little rough around the edges to me. Capstan Blue, F&T Cut Virginia Plug, 4th Generation Evening Flake, Union Square, Telegraph Hill, Sufliff 507C Virginia Slices also come to mind.