PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
No! How would you say it compares?
Basically everyone that likes the Balkan style likes Balkan Supreme. It was one of the entries in the Balkan Sobranie match contest. I like proper English too but I’d say this is a richer and fuller smoke.

I enjoyed the oriental English too. I can’t really say how it’s different than proper but some other I know have done a side to side comparison and preferred the oriental. I haven’t done that myself though.

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
I am with you on the ODF, there are times where I think I could be happy just with that for the rest of my life.

As far as an english, good luck, it has taken me two years to get to two that I like to cellar.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I ordered some ODF yesterday primarily because of this thread, so thanks OP and other ODF fans who responded. I also ordered more Pegasus because I really enjoy it and need some in reserve.

I hope you’ll like it! It’s got a distinct ‘vinegar’ taste to it that (for me) is settled down ~1/3 into the smoke. It’s delightful though because that dark fired Kentucky is right with you the whole way, plus the vinegar isn’t (for me) off-putting, rather it’s a familiar and welcome companion as I settle into my cadence. Yum. Personally I smoke HHODF out of a cob.

Like a broken record: if HH ODF (& HH BK) had nutritional value I wouldn’t have to eat! Sure, they’re not complex smokes that have Mr. Inks pondering his vocabulary for definition or anything. Rather it’s just good and solid all the way. I could smoke ODF pretty much all day. In fact I do some days! :)

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Off tangent, but as an English blend lover I’m curious which two? If I had to surrender all but two I think I’d have a stroke! :LOL:

Well I am not stopping on ordering new english blends as they are the bulk of my small cellar, but, my main two are Peretti Royal and Squadron. I also have some Black Mallory (when I want more latakia) squirreled away and some Margate (ho-hum). For me, new english blends are always interesting as they are so varied. Next time P&C puts the Marquee line on sale I will be grabbing some tins of Fleet Commander as I find that one worth cellaring too.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I hope you’ll like it! It’s got a distinct ‘vinegar’ taste to it that (for me) is settled down ~1/3 into the smoke. It’s delightful though because that dark fired Kentucky is right with you the whole way, plus the vinegar isn’t (for me) off-putting, rather it’s a familiar and welcome companion as I settle into my cadence. Yum. Personally I smoke HHODF out of a cob.

Like a broken record: if HH ODF (& HH BK) had nutritional value I wouldn’t have to eat! Sure, they’re not complex smokes that have Mr. Inks pondering his vocabulary for definition or anything. Rather it’s just good and solid all the way. I could smoke ODF pretty much all day. In fact I do some days! :)
Vinegar, you say! This is good to read; now I’m really looking forward to it.

Dirty D

Lurker
Nov 19, 2019
Two amazing tobaccos. Went through 4 oz bulk Pegasus way too fast. Pegasus could very well become my all day smoke. Have to order more because i smoked my " cellar" jar. Yeah I'd buy a few pounds if i could. Odf is also great stuff. The bulk is just a little different than the tin. All the rubbing I guess. 3 parts Pegasus with 1 part Odf is also a winner. Happy New Year to all. D.

Dirty D

Lurker
Nov 19, 2019
I have been eyeing Pegasus for some time. I think you just tipped the scale.
Thanks. -I hope.
Yeah Pegasus is just plain old delicious, easy to work with mechanically and a wonderful smooth smoke. I myself get unsweetened cocoa and peanuts and as the bowl goes down these flavors remain and even deepen or intensify. Of all tobaccos I have tasted Pegasus is easily in my top 3. And its not so heavy or strong IMO that I could easily smoke it all day and do so quite often. ODF is also amazing but too heavy to smoke all day for me anyway. Cheers, D.

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
I finally figure out the secret to ODF. A couple of years in a jar along with drying it out till it’s almost crumbly took it to a top 3 blend. I bought another pound last week to age.

JR1296

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2019
Mississippi
Give C&D Odessa a try. It's a burley based English I keep in my rotation. I also think Father Dempsey is better than Proper English. You can't go wrong with Balkan Supreme either.

Status
Not open for further replies.