PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
These were two blends I was recommended here, just wanted to share that I revived them and have run through a few bowls. Pegasus was an instant winner. I've never had a burley, or burley based that tasted like that. Rich but not heavy. Complex, I swear I was even tasting meat/bone/or something I could not think of a word for. And the Cavendish just popping up at the exact right moments. I will automatically be buying more. HH was another story. Until the middle of the bowl I was thinking I'd rather buy Rum Flake as it was similar enough and cheaper. Then I started to see that this had much more than a good nose. I am very much enjoying it now. Rum Flake dries my mouth so bad, and I'm not sure the tobacco itself is that complex. This HH though tastes very, very good. Easy on the palate. Thanks for the recommendations all. I'm happy to have found a few that top my list. Capstan, Pegasus, HH ODF, and the journey continues. Now looking for an english that is smoother than Stokkes Proper. I like Stokkes Proper but I swear it has a metallic quality to it that keeps me away. Anybody else sense that from it? Also wondering if this post should really be in a discussion thread. If so, sorry!

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I have already enjoyed ODF in flake, ready rubbed, and plug form, but haven’t tried Pegasus.

Surprised to learn it is one of a very few blends actually reviewed by the blender himself on tobaccoreviews.com. Wow! I’m just starting my ”burley period” so I’m all over this one. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks all for the recommendation.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I, too, have been recently acquainted with ODF and Pegasus. It was a great recommendation!!! Both taste good, behave well in the pipe, and light relatively easily.

BTW: My favorite "English" is Squadron Leader, followed by MM965.

Reactions: danimalia and Bowie

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
These were two blends I was recommended here, just wanted to share that I revived them and have run through a few bowls. Pegasus was an instant winner. I've never had a burley, or burley based that tasted like that. Rich but not heavy. Complex, I swear I was even tasting meat/bone/or something I could not think of a word for. And the Cavendish just popping up at the exact right moments. I will automatically be buying more. HH was another story. Until the middle of the bowl I was thinking I'd rather buy Rum Flake as it was similar enough and cheaper. Then I started to see that this had much more than a good nose. I am very much enjoying it now. Rum Flake dries my mouth so bad, and I'm not sure the tobacco itself is that complex. This HH though tastes very, very good. Easy on the palate. Thanks for the recommendations all. I'm happy to have found a few that top my list. Capstan, Pegasus, HH ODF, and the journey continues. Now looking for an english that is smoother than Stokkes Proper. I like Stokkes Proper but I swear it has a metallic quality to it that keeps me away. Anybody else sense that from it? Also wondering if this post should really be in a discussion thread. If so, sorry!
Have you tried Arango Balkan Supreme or maybe PS Oriental English as a replacement for PS Proper English

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I second the nomination of Arango Balkan Supreme. Good stuff!

Also, you could do worse than C&D’s Super Balkan (I like Balkan Supreme more, but C&D SB is a contender and is also in bulk).

As far as burley, I love Morley’s Best and Haunted Bookshop. A pinnacle burley blend is Solani Aged Burley Flake 656. If you like burley blends you might want to throw a tin of that into your next order to try out.

Keep those reviews coming! I love to read what others taste that I might miss.

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.