PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

piranesi

Lurker
Jul 26, 2022
Hey all,
I'm new to pipe smoking and live in a place where it's not very popular (Seoul, South Korea).
Thankfully there is a decent brick and mortar shop not too far from me, and I picked up some tobacco there yesterday.

I had heard the name Old Joe Krantz a few times, so I decided to pick this tin up. After I got home I realized there were a few varieties of Old Joe Krantz, including the red, white, and blue labels. Weirdly to me, I couldn't match up the label on this tin to any of them really.

Can anyone help me ID this tin? Any help would be much appreciated.

20220805_155837.jpg
20220805_155856.jpg

20220805_155905.jpg

Thanks!

• Wow
Reactions: canucklehead

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That's a very old tin. I believe the yellow sticker indicates a date of 2013

Back in the day, there were no multiple variants of OJK.

What you have should be the equivalent of the "original", now the brown label OJK.

Even that you should take with a grain of salt, as I seem to remember someone indicating a formula change of that blend around maybe 2017.

Since it's an older and, possibly, uncommon, tin and, since you've indicated that you are a new pipe smoker, consider putting that one back in the closet until you've had a chance to develop your technique and maybe better appreciate it in the future.

Or not. Maybe you can get a new tin of OJK and compare the two and tell us all about it.

Either way, welcome to the forum!

1659688969761.png

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Even that you should take with a grain of salt, as I seem to remember someone indicating a formula change of that blend around maybe 2017.
Don't worry Jay, EVERYTHING you say is taken with a grain of salt on here.

?

However, this is very interesting to me. As by the pictures, I had no idea which one it was. Also didn't know there wasn't other varietys back then!

Blue has been my new favorite blend these days. Can't get enough of it.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Like the others said, it's an old tin, when there was no red, blue, or white label variants. If it were newer, it'd still be Old Joe Krantz, as the other labeled blends would specify they were red, white, or blue label.

Also, as a long time OJK smoker, I can say that tin's going to be great (unless you find you don't like that kind of blend to begin with).