PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I was recently chatting with a forum member and we were reminiscing a bit about being able to call Patty and Craig to place orders and chat. Wondering if anyone has noticed changes in blends after the transition to Smoking Pipes? We all know crops change from time to time, but in general.. better, worse or about the same? I welcome any observations. Thanks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was recently chatting with a forum member and we were reminiscing a bit about being able to call Patty and Craig to place orders and chat. Wondering if anyone has noticed changes in blends after the transition to Smoking Pipes? We all know crops change from time to time, but in general.. better, worse or about the same? I welcome any observations. Thanks.
Craig used to make me pound blocks of Black Frigate minus the latakia. Great stuff!

When they updated their equipment a few years back their crumble cakes just aren't what they were. Stringy and the don't hold together well.

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I’m at the point in my cellar where I’m smoking through 2009-2012 tins of C&D & G.L. Pease pretty regularly. I’m aware that after this era is exhausted from the cellar that it will be the end of the “fish food” cut. I probably enjoy the burn & pack qualities of the newer tins with their consistent finer ribbon, but there is just something enjoyably raw about the old Tarler cut ? From a flavor standpoint, I don’t notice that much difference excepting Jeremy’s heavy hand with the Perique barrel ? I’m a big fan of a large portion of the C&D produced portfolio and agree with some of the others that overall it took a step forward in pretty much every area from what was already an excellent reputation.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and boston

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Craig used to make me pound blocks of Black Frigate minus the latakia. Great stuff!

When they updated their equipment a few years back their crumble cakes just aren't what they were. Stringy and the don't hold together well.
Yeah the new cutting equipment really changed a lot of blends. I'm smoking some Opening Night cut on the older stuff and I like it more.

The cakes on the other hand.. don't care much for their structure.

Reactions: boston and jpmcwjr

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I’m at the point in my cellar where I’m smoking through 2009-2012 tins of C&D & G.L. Pease pretty regularly. I’m aware that after this era is exhausted from the cellar that it will be the end of the “fish food” cut. I probably enjoy the burn & pack qualities of the newer tins with their consistent finer ribbon, but there is just something enjoyably raw about the old Tarler cut ? From a flavor standpoint, I don’t notice that much difference excepting Jeremy’s heavy hand with the Perique barrel ? I’m a big fan of a large portion of the C&D produced portfolio and agree with some of the others that overall it took a step forward in pretty much every area from what was already an excellent reputation.
Thanks this is good to know. Like you, I still have older tins to work through but would like to try the SP versions in the future.