PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Does the recall from the recent C&D blend recall warrant the new FDA rules? C&D certainally carries a ton of blends with new ones coming out all the time. Do you think the recall justifies the new rules or not? Certainly, in my opinion, C&D acted in a self policing manor and the FDA rule has little bearing.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Nothing whatsoever.
I'm a bit over this FDA crap. So many on these forums, lurk and complain, but openly support these Bureaucratic measures. All of these measures come from an invisible umbilical cord linked to the Executive Office. They aren't legal, but Hey! "I love the fact that the EPA puts it to Big Coal, Hee! Hee! Oh No! They're coming after my pipe tobacco, mold and all." What did you expect? Like I said, "I'm over it." Everybody has a boogie man, now. Rag that old man, because accepting responsibility for creating the monster is just way to much. G'Day.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Does the recall from the recent C&D blend recall warrant the new FDA rules?
FUC! NO NO NO NOOOOOOOO!!!!! This country is ridiculously OVER regulated and getting worse every year. If one pays attention AT ALL, they can see that. Regulating our lives so that the insurance companies can keep making a bigger profit is infuriating!...and that's all I have to say about that.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It's just an unfortunate thing that C&D released a new blend that had to be recalled right after the FDA announcement. I think that C&D and pipe smokers themselves have shown that there is no need for the FDA by the manner in which they have handled the current situation. I understand you're thought on the matter, but unfortunately the FDA would have only made the situation worse. Again, I want to applaud all involved in the recall for demonstrating that self-regulation works, and that government regulation of the pipe tobacco industry is unneeded and unnecessary.

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
+1 - pipesmokingtom: That's like asking if my catching a cold warrants me committing suicide.
We ALL make mistakes for various reasons. Things happen in the game of life. Micro managing people doesn't solve problems, it only makes for more problems and miserable employees or citizens.
Crap happens. Something like this is NOT neglect. If Jeremy and crew at C&D aren't legit then I don't know my head from a hole in the ground. Time to move on from this one.
In fact, up to this point in my short time pipe smoking I haven't ordered any C&D yet. I am going to make sure to put a couple of their tins in my next order just to show my support. Those boys got mud in their eye. But they will shake it off, rub some dirt on their wounds and continue on. I hope they come out all the better because of it.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
I think the mold and recall have nothing to do with the intent of the FDA regulations. This is a matter that has no bearing on that situation.
That's like asking if my catching a cold warrants me committing suicide.
It is more like asking if my catching a cold warrants the drinking age being at 21. In other words two completely unrelated issues. The deeming regulations are - at face value - a misguided attempt to limit the proliferation of nicotine containing products (in reality, I think they are proof that big tobacco companies, RJ Reynolds if the rumor I heard is right, are in the pockets of regulators in the FDA).
While the deeming regulations go far overboard in their scope, there is something to be said about movements to keep tobacco products away from minors, like HI's new law making the smoking age 21. If 18 year olds can't buy it legally, they won't then be giving it to their underage high school buddies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
No, the new FDA rules are about choking out industry so that cigarette makers can reign again. It is usually this way with regulation.
C&D was trying to use low chemical content on their tobacco, and ran into some bad luck. Happens to all of us. I admire their dedication to purity as far as it is possible...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't see that one thing has any direct relationship to the other. The FDA announcement predated C&D's canning by a couple of months. C&D takes one in the shorts for screwing up this release and loses money as well. There's a lesson for them to learn and it's delivered by the marketplace, which is the best way to deliver it.
These regs are really just a way to give Phillip Morris and R J Reynolds a virtual monopoly on cigs and vaping by imposing costs that "BIg Tobsacco" can afford and small blenders can't. We're collateral damage.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
These regs are really just a way to give Phillip Morris and R J Reynolds a virtual monopoly on cigs and vaping by imposing costs that "BIg Tobsacco" can afford and small blenders can't.
Excellent informed curmudgeon insight.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
These regs are really just a way to give Phillip Morris and R J Reynolds a virtual monopoly on cigs and vaping by imposing costs that "BIg Tobsacco" can afford and small blenders can't. We're collateral damage.
To that end, I read somewhere that there was a single vaping product on the market (maybe there were two...) as of the FEB 2007 date currently set for grandfathering in the deeming regulations. Does anyone know who made that product? I haven't dug too deep to find out, but I'm curious if it was one of the big tobacco companies or their subsidiary.
If that doesn't get people's conspiracy theory juices flowing, I don't know what would.

Status
Not open for further replies.