PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
So I've been on a Burley kick lately and came across this offering from C&D and thought I'd give it a shot. For the first bowl I allowed the tobacco to dry for 20 minutes but I might have been fine without it as it wasn't overly moist from the tin. The tin note itself is pleasant and a light casing similar to a faint OJK is present but not at all overpowering. The name is a bit of a misnomer as the cut isn't a coin at all but a loose ribbon cut. It packs easily and, with the drying time took a few charring lights and then held an ember reasonably well throughout. My initial impressions weren't at all what I expected. My first bowl was actually a bit of a letdown. It seemed to want to smoke hot and I found the Burley to be rough around the edges without the comforting nutty smoothness I was seeking. That being said, subsequent bowls have been better. I'm not entirely sure if my cadence was just off during my first try or if it wanted more drying but the blend has grown on me a bit. The flavors can still be a little rough around the edges and may become more rounded with time, but I'm now finding the satisfaction I usually get with Burley forward blends. I'm still working through my first tin and haven't yet decided if I will purchase more although I'm currently leaning no. There are so many blends that I love that it's tough to justify buying more of this one...however as I've said, it's growing on me. If you're a Burley lover it's certainly worth a shot I think and it's one of those sleeper blends that doesn't seem to get a lot of press so to speak.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The whole C&D inventory is Valhalla for a burley lover. Decades ago Tarler and company, in Pennsylvania and later North Carolina, elevated burley from that good old over-the-counter codger standby to a real blending tobacco, for base or condiment, and the rest is history. Jeremy Reeves at C&D's most recent home in South Carolina at SP, has shepherded the brand and continued its good work. It's not all burley, but that is their crowning distinction.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The whole C&D inventory is Valhalla for a burley lover. Decades ago Tarler and company, in Pennsylvania and later North Carolina, elevated burley from that good old over-the-counter codger standby to a real blending tobacco, for base or condiment, and the rest is history. Jeremy Reeves at C&D's most recent home in South Carolina at SP, has shepherded the brand and continued its good work. It's not all burley, but that is their crowning distinction.

I agree. I can't think of another producer that's put that kind of effort into raising the status of burley. It's clearly paid off too. Lot's of interesting options to choose from. After testing all the best known C&D burley blends I'm starting to dig a bit deeper into their catalog and finding some gems down in the weeds. Currently smoking a lot of Adagio--which is unusual with it's leather and peaty scotch flavors. Almost like GLP Caravan except with a burley focus.
I haven't given Kelly's Coin a test yet. I'll have to give it a shot.

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
So I've been on a Burley kick lately and came across this offering from C&D and thought I'd give it a shot. For the first bowl I allowed the tobacco to dry for 20 minutes but I might have been fine without it as it wasn't overly moist from the tin. The tin note itself is pleasant and a light casing similar to a faint OJK is present but not at all overpowering. The name is a bit of a misnomer as the cut isn't a coin at all but a loose ribbon cut. It packs easily and, with the drying time took a few charring lights and then held an ember reasonably well throughout. My initial impressions weren't at all what I expected. My first bowl was actually a bit of a letdown. It seemed to want to smoke hot and I found the Burley to be rough around the edges without the comforting nutty smoothness I was seeking. That being said, subsequent bowls have been better. I'm not entirely sure if my cadence was just off during my first try or if it wanted more drying but the blend has grown on me a bit. The flavors can still be a little rough around the edges and may become more rounded with time, but I'm now finding the satisfaction I usually get with Burley forward blends. I'm still working through my first tin and haven't yet decided if I will purchase more although I'm currently leaning no. There are so many blends that I love that it's tough to justify buying more of this one...however as I've said, it's growing on me. If you're a Burley lover it's certainly worth a shot I think and it's one of those sleeper blends that doesn't seem to get a lot of press so to speak.
Good review. I’m gonna have to give it a smoke!

Reactions: brandaves
Status
Not open for further replies.