PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Grabbed Two, supposed to be a forever thing, let some other brothers try it. May be a gateway to Lakeland for some.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Damn Lakeland. I may have a tin available in a day or two. :rofl:
I'm going to have to dedicate a cob to this so I don't ruin one of my regular pipes as I don't want them smelling/tasting like old grannies soap.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Guys, I feel compelled to clarify here. Yes, the aim is regular production, but that doesn't mean it'll be in stock all the time. Think about the regular availability of anything from G&H. I don't want to feed the panic, but once LDG (our distributor) is out of stock on the stuff, I can barely begin to speculate when we can expect another round from Kendal. I just want everybody to have the same expectations vis-à-vis what this is going to look like availability-wise going forward.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Even if it was unlimited, we still have fun going crazy on a release, or re-release. Thanks for the clarification though!

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I previously asked for help with my TAD on another thread and I read all that was said and took it to heart. So I have and will send stuff to my Troop charity to send stuff over to the guys and gals who smoke pipes. So as my stock goes down I feel that it is only right that I replace the stock. So eight tins on the way.
And as far as this thread goes it is fun. This was my golf league day but it rained so here I sit with nothing better to do but post tin count numbers. At least I am doing something.
Oh and 1:07pm EDT the count is now 998.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
And as far as this thread goes it is fun. This was my golf league day but it rained so here I sit with nothing better to do but post tin count numbers. At least I am doing something.
Have storms here, and this is terribly entertaining!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
:mrgreen:
It's been a while, but if I remember right, it's just a touch of floral. Blends really well with the tobacco.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
From the website of Mr. Pease:
Stonehenge is a wonderful traditional flake comprised of bright flue-cured and sun-cured leaf from Brazil, Zimbabwe and Malawi, with just a touch of Burley added for a bit of body, and a slightly fuller flavor. Then, we added a good measure of perique for its unique contribution.
smokingpipes says the same, but above someone also included a chocolate topping. I take it that was an error? Also, who is the manufacturer, C&D or GH?

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
This is from smokingpipes.com

In the late summer or early fall of 2001 Greg Pease and John Gawith of Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. got to the long-discussed business of collaborating on a blend. The result, a Lakeland-style Virginia-Perique flake, was a small run of 1,500 two ounce tins. It was called Stonehenge Flake, and it was good. Ready for the market around Christmastime of the same year, the entire lot was gobbled up by pipe smokers nearly immediately. It got bought, smoked, and it got cellared. And then it was gone.

Today if you're lucky you can still find a tin of Stonehenge (as it came to be called) on a dusty shelf in the back room of a small tobacco shop in the remote country. You're more likely to acquire one at a pipe show from a private collector who knows exactly what it's worth.

But today a fresh two ounce tin of Stonehenge is just a few clicks away.

Stonehenge! 'Tis a magic place

Where the moon doth rise with a dragon's face

True to the original, Stonehenge follows the same formula and protocol concocted by Greg and John back in 2001. Bright flue-cured and sun-cured leaf, and a smidgen of Burley and Perique all get mixed together, steamed and hot-pressed into blocks, matured, and then sliced into delicate two inch long flakes. The result is a gently sweet, piquant, slightly peppery smoke with nutty chocolate undertones.

With infectious schoolboy enthusiasm, Greg's reported to us more than once he thinks this last iteration of Stonehenge is better than the first. (Blasphemy!) Of course you don’t have to agree with him, but it is damn good. And that it’s back is mightily epic and worthy of song. Keep your fingers crossed you won’t have to wait sixteen years for another batch.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Well, I was able to snag a couple of tins before the bell rang. I hope all you fellows who are waiting it out get a chance to try this delish tobac.

Status
Not open for further replies.